Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Change size of "generic" asteroids?  (Read 2207 times)

tavuntu

Change size of "generic" asteroids?
« on: December 15, 2016, 10:13:55 AM »
Hi guys, I'll put it short: Those asteroids in the solar system:

are the same size always:

I guess this is because of performance reasons, but maybe we could change the size proportional to the distance? Maybe change, when looking from far away, to 2D small textures facing always to the camera? I don't know much about this, those are some suggestions maybe we could try :)

Cheers,
Gustavo.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
Re: Change size of "generic" asteroids?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 07:37:10 AM »
Sounds good

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »
By default their size is exaggerated because they're relatively so small and would be nearly invisible otherwise.
You can change this, though, by clicking View > Show more (3 dots) > set Particle Scales to Realistic.

Hope that helps!

dewasser

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 02:21:27 PM »
i think the issue is not that they sizes are exaggerated but that it doesn't change with distance. its kinda annoying when the asteroids are either bigger than the planets or not visible at all.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:22:40 PM »
By default their size is exaggerated because they're relatively so small and would be nearly invisible otherwise.
You can change this, though, by clicking View > Show more (3 dots) > set Particle Scales to Realistic.

Hope that helps!

Indeed.
If you were to take every asteroid in the inner solar system, and colloid them all together, youd get something about a quarter or maybe half the size of the moon.

Also, the rings for Saturn should be more noticeable in the sim.
For them to be noticeable, youd need to add few layers to make them more like the rings of saturn....

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
Maybe you should make the realistic sizes default and you can change them as an option. Maybe that would be useful.