Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Magenta brown dwarfs?  (Read 3900 times)

MD2903

Magenta brown dwarfs?
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:18:02 AM »
Hello,

Lately I have been having some questions about the colour of brown dwarfs and I figured you guys might be able to help me out.

The temperature of brown dwarfs ranges from about 2000 K (late M type) to 200-300 K (Y type).
I thought the black bosy radiation would just continue after red dwarfs, so late M brown dwarfs would just be deeper orange. Black bosy radiation stops in visible light at around 1000K, at which I would think a brown dwarf would just look black to the human eye.
I read something about brown dwarfs looking magenta due to methane in the atmosphere absorbing most red light.

So my question is: What could the temperature range be for brown dwarfs, to look magenta? And do brown dwarfs stop emitting visible light at 1000K?

Thanks in advance

DiamondMiner10

Re: Magenta brown dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 12:12:55 AM »
Brown dwarves would probably be glowing a cool orange or magenta with dark stripes where thicker clouds are. Wikipedia, Universe today, and NASA all say that most brown dwarves probably look magenta with the hotter ones being orange and the cooler ones being just brown or reddish brown