Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lens flare for bright objects (eg. Stars, supernova)  (Read 6000 times)

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
Lens flare for bright objects (eg. Stars, supernova)
« on: November 04, 2016, 07:18:31 AM »
I know this would be complicated, but, i think the game looks a lot better when it adds lens flares to bright objects in the game such as stars, or supernova.

The recommended shape of the lens would be 4 pointed, just like in this photo:

The code for lens flares shouldn't be all that complicated, so I think it would be added soon enough
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 05:38:24 PM by Austritistanian »

Physics_Hacker

Re: Lens flare for bright objects (eg. Stars, supernova)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:31:12 AM »
I can make lens flares if the devs don't want to make the actual files, too.

So far I've made almost all a different type of flare, but I can probably try my hand at ones like you pointed out.
Some examples of what I've made;

I can do less colorful ones too, but colorful ones are harder to make look correct.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »
Lens flare would be useful when your on a planet and/or in the atmosphere of a planet, but it doesn't fit in space.
But would look rather pleasing.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 03:25:02 PM »
Lens flare would be useful when your on a planet and/or in the atmosphere of a planet, but it doesn't fit in space.

Why not? There are lens flares in pictures from the ISS and Hubble gets them, how would it not fit?

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 03:50:02 PM »
I can make lens flares if the devs don't want to make the actual files, too.

So far I've made almost all a different type of flare, but I can probably try my hand at ones like you pointed out.
Some examples of what I've made;

I can do less colorful ones too, but colorful ones are harder to make look correct.
Cool

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »
Personally, 4 pointed and sharp, thin lens flares looks better according to me. It looks a lot more pleasing and realistic.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 06:56:36 AM »

Why not? There are lens flares in pictures from the ISS and Hubble gets them, how would it not fit?

Well I never see any lens flare in pictures of space.

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 07:03:56 AM »
Lens Flare is caused by light reflecting inside the lens, either from lens surfaces or from internal components in the lens. At every lens surface where the lens meets air a certain amount of light will be reflected. The telescopes in space have modern lens coatings which reduce lens flare. Lens flare is something you wouldn't really want. Plus it doesn't fit in at all with the space feeling. You aren't playing as a telescope so there is no reason to have lens flares. They would look unrealistic

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 07:05:17 AM »
^
That is why it unnecessary.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »
Lens Flare is caused by light reflecting inside the lens, either from lens surfaces or from internal components in the lens. At every lens surface where the lens meets air a certain amount of light will be reflected. The telescopes in space have modern lens coatings which reduce lens flare. Lens flare is something you wouldn't really want. Plus it doesn't fit in at all with the space feeling. You aren't playing as a telescope so there is no reason to have lens flares. They would look unrealistic

You're playing as a camera. What else? You're not playing as a person( theres no 3rd person view that would confirm that you are indeed a humanoid) and a telescope would, to put it lightly, would be impractical and pretty much pointless in this context, since its not like you're able to change the zoom factor on a telescope instantly. But, cameras still usually still have lens flares, and still, its just an aesthetic thing and would most likely have the option to be turned off, so there's nothing to complain about. If you don't want them, then turn them off.

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »
and still, its just an aesthetic thing and would most likely have the option to be turned off, so there's nothing to complain about. If you don't want them, then turn them off.
Haha I also agree with that one. It should have the option to be turned off so that some dudes like Tesco and Angel who doesn't want the feature to be added could calm down

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 10:48:19 AM »
I'm not salty I just think it isn't a great idea

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 11:02:04 AM »
Those 4-pointed spikes are diffraction spikes, not lens flares. They're usually caused when telescopes have a secondary mirror hanging in 4 vanes.

Anyway I like lens flare/diffraction spikes as optional effects you can turn on, but it shouldn't be on by default I think. It's not really given by the program what the observer is. A camera or a human inside some form of protection, that can move faster than light in any case. In real photography you usually want to minimize lens flare, so it seems ok to me not to have it if you're flying around FTL as some idealized camera anyway.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »

You're playing as a camera. What else? You're not playing as a person( theres no 3rd person view that would confirm that you are indeed a humanoid) and a telescope would, to put it lightly, would be impractical and pretty much pointless in this context, since its not like you're able to change the zoom factor on a telescope instantly. But, cameras still usually still have lens flares, and still, its just an aesthetic thing and would most likely have the option to be turned off, so there's nothing to complain about. If you don't want them, then turn them off.

Who said you were playing as a camera? Your not anything.
Your just an entity that can mess with gravity and physics.
You can create and/or destroy whole solar systems.

Niel amstronge xd

• Black Holes are fun!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 02:36:34 AM »
This is good idea ... They should add this