Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Make Double Binary" button  (Read 3434 times)

JMBuilder

• The demand for memes is high.
"Make Double Binary" button
« on: October 31, 2016, 06:23:03 PM »
It's currently pretty much impossible to make binary-binary orbits (two pairs of stars orbiting each other). Here's a thought:

If two binary systems have barycenters added to them and the user selects both systems, a new "Make Double Binary" button becomes available. This would stabilize the systems' orbits around each other.

storm027

Re: "Make Double Binary" button
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »
I would like to be able to make stable triple binary sun groups and even have single stars orbiting around binaries and multiple binaries sun groups. and I would like to be able to create a stable system with 2, triple binaries orbiting around each other making for 12 stars total in a system.

mitcheljh

• Astro Atomic Model
Re: "Make Double Binary" button
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »
I agree that these both the above would be very nice features.
I created a double binary by entering the velocity components manually, but it was a little work.
You can probably take this and modify it for your needs.

It would also be nice to be able to add 'systems' at a specific location, and group them together, and give them initial  velocity components (in addition to their relative velocities to each other).  I realize that there are probably more features that are higher on the priority list, because the demand for them is greater, but these would be 'nice to have' features sometime in the future, especially if there's a lot of others that would like them too.

Great work on the alpha so far, it's really looking nice!