Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problem with binary and binary-binary orbits  (Read 3074 times)

JMBuilder

• The demand for memes is high.
Problem with binary and binary-binary orbits
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »
By binary-binary, I mean two objects orbiting each other, another two objects orbiting each other, and then both of those pairs of objects orbiting each other.

Basically, creating this doesn't work. I've tried everything, including every possible use of the "make binary" action. The two pairs just fall into each other.

On top of that, trying to make two objects in a binary orbit around a single larger body doesn't work either. They have the same problem where they'll just stop moving and fall towards their host body.

Getting single objects to orbit larger binary objects works just fine. Same with three similar objects (two in a binary and another orbiting them). So why don't these things work?

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
Re: Problem with binary and binary-binary orbits
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »
On the "Binary" tab, try to disable the 'Stable motion', and the put the stars. It worked out for me

JMBuilder

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:19:59 PM »
There's still the problem with binary-binary orbits. Every time I try it, the pairs of stars destabilize in different ways depending on what angle I place each star's companion at.

Austritistanian

• Amateur shitposter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 04:20:44 AM »
I think the developer implemented this to a good reason: High order binaries, while can orbit around each other for a long time, are pretty unstable. You can take Castor, a sextuple star system, for example. While the system might orbits one another for another hundreds of millions of years, it will eventually become unstable and will one day decay and some stars might even crash into other star in the system, or get ejected out of the system.

JMBuilder

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
Well, yes, but I mean that they destabilize as soon as I place the stars. Like, it doesn't work, not even for a few seconds.