Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2D Accretion Simulation  (Read 4116 times)

quietsamurai98

2D Accretion Simulation
« on: September 19, 2016, 09:15:13 PM »
I've been making a simulation of a protoplanetary disk for a computer science course, and I thought that you guys would appreciate it! I wrote all of the code myself, and it is all publicly available on GitHub. You'll need to have some kind of java IDE to run the simulation from the source code, but all the links are to .jar and .bat files that anyone with java installed should be able to run.

This version is an older, more user friendly version. It has a live view of the simulation, so you can watch as it unfolds.

This is the most up to date version. It outputs each simulation frame as a .png, and once enough frames are generated, they can be stictched into an AVI video using an external program, like VirtualDub. This means you can have it simulate many particles and watch the output at a steady frame rate.

I have uploaded a few of these AVIs to my youtube channel, and I put them all in a playlist.

This video is most interesting video of a simulation so far, in my opinion. It is one of the few simulations that resulted in a relatively stable system with recognizable planets that have significant mass.

This video has the highest definition and highest particle count so far out of all the simulation videos, however I didn't give the particles a large enough initial random velocity, so they all collapsed into one huge star.

I hope a few people find this interesting!