Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need help with my simulation.  (Read 3187 times)

SnoggyTheBear

Need help with my simulation.
« on: September 11, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
Hello, I just got this game and it's super fun just one concern I have
In this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNI0TAyvXWo
You can see whenever he is placing down a planet circles appear around the sun all of them are equally distanced, I was wondering how to turn these on because I'm creating a solar system and really want to make all my planets equally spaces out.
Thanks in advance.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
Re: Need help with my simulation.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
When placing planets in a simulation, make sure you have the "orbit" button enabled. This allows you to place objects in orbit of a star, moon, asteroid, etc.

First, place your planets in the order you would like them. Next, select a planet and then right click on it, this will open the properties panel for the object. The default tab it opens to should be "Basic." Scroll down until you see the header "Orbital Elements."

The parameter you're looking for is "semi-major axis." Semi-major axis is the distance an object is from its parent body. This parameter will allow you to evenly space each object in orbit. For example, a planet spaced out every 500,000km.

I would recommend using the grid when placing your planets. It should be enabled by default when in orbit mode. However, press "G" if it isn't already enabled. If you want to make a vertical line of planets, the grid is very useful. Don't worry about trying to get the distance even between each planet, do that after, using the technique I mentioned above.

Let me know if this answers your question. :)

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: Need help with my simulation.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »
That's a great response from The Ventifact.

To specifically address the feature you're looking for:
The circular grid when placing objects was in older versions of Universe Sandbox ². It's been removed, but we've talked about adding it in again in a future update.