Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quasars  (Read 6155 times)

A_A_H_G

Quasars
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
I saw in the 2016 roadmap that for Alpha 20 the roche limit will be ready but i saw too that all your examples or experiments are only for rocky bodies. But What about gas giants? or even better What about stars?
I know that a quasar is basically a black hole that absorbes a lot of mass from stars (maybe other things) and it expulses jets of energy so with this update my question is: Can we create quasars?

MD2903

Re: Quasars
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
I think quasars would be a cool new feature for this simulator and i think it is possible to simulate them.
While i don't know everything about the physics behind quasars, i do know about the accretion disk and relativstic jets.

Maybe it is possible to simulate quasars like this:
A black hole sucks in matter (planets, stars etc.), but right before the matter disappears, an accretion disk and relativistic jets appear.

I dont know how much mater a black hole needs to suck in before it becomes a quasar. Neither do i know how long these jets and the disk last. So the simulation i came up with is obviously not polished.

A_A_H_G

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »
I think quasars would be a cool new feature for this simulator and i think it is possible to simulate them.
While i don't know everything about the physics behind quasars, i do know about the accretion disk and relativstic jets.

Maybe it is possible to simulate quasars like this:
A black hole sucks in matter (planets, stars etc.), but right before the matter disappears, an accretion disk and relativistic jets appear.

I dont know how much mater a black hole needs to suck in before it becomes a quasar. Neither do i know how long these jets and the disk last. So the simulation i came up with is obviously not polished.
Ten solar masses per year to be a quasar

MD2903

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:17:20 AM »

Ten solar masses per year to be a quasar
[/quote]

Dit some research on quasars.
10 solar masses per year is for a luminosity of 10^40 watts, a typical quasar.
But the more matter a black hole sucks in, the brighter.

I read that quasars last about 10^8 years, but i don't know how this is affected by the amount of matter it sucks in.

Magnetarhyper4436

• 'HYPER'NOVAE!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
Aren't quasars young or old galaxies?

MD2903

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 01:51:38 PM »
Quasars are essentialy supermassive blackholes in the centre of galaxies. Sometimes these blackholes consume so much matter in a short time that the matter forms an accretion disk that releases tonnes of energy due to friction. This energy is seen as electromagnetic radiation that form two jets that blast from the two "poles" of the black hole.