Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stars  (Read 7422 times)

storm027

Stars
« on: August 11, 2016, 04:09:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to when stars are updated again. I wonder will there be stars that are purple that are extra hot O class stars? I also would l also would like stellar class to be displayed on a corner of the window with the star in the center as usual. also can't wait for accurate stellar evolution and stuff.

JMBuilder

• The demand for memes is high.
Re: Stars
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 07:13:20 PM »
I'd like to see proper L, T, and Y type brown dwarf stars.

storm027

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
ya, brown dwarfs too! those classes should also be listed at the bottom corner of the properties window pic.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 04:53:49 PM »
I'm looking forward to when stars are updated again. I wonder will there be stars that are purple that are extra hot O class stars? I also would l also would like stellar class to be displayed on a corner of the window with the star in the center as usual. also can't wait for accurate stellar evolution and stuff.

There won't be any purple stars, sorry to inform you. Extra-hot O stars would be a deeper blue as it gets hotter, and then as it starts to get close to black from not producing much visible light there might be a tinge of purple, but these stars most likely wouldn't even remotely be possible and even if one could form, for it to be that hot it'd have to be big enough to only last a few hundred years, not even long enough to form planets....

storm027

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 11:35:14 AM »
still it would be cool to make stars like that in Universe Sandbox 2.

A_A_H_G

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 03:41:50 PM »

There won't be any purple stars, sorry to inform you. Extra-hot O stars would be a deeper blue as it gets hotter, and then as it starts to get close to black from not producing much visible light there might be a tinge of purple, but these stars most likely wouldn't even remotely be possible and even if one could form, for it to be that hot it'd have to be big enough to only last a few hundred years, not even long enough to form planets....
In real life there are some stars that are hotter than the classic O-type stars but colder than WR stars and that stars can produce not purple but some kind of violet light. Remember the spectrum of visible light: from red to violet before the ultraviolet.

MD2903

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »

In real life there are some stars that are hotter than the classic O-type stars but colder than WR stars and that stars can produce not purple but some kind of violet light. Remember the spectrum of visible light: from red to violet before the ultraviolet.
[/quote]

I didnt know that, quite interesting. Could you give some names of those particular stars?

Futhermore, I tried to spawn O-type stars but i couldn't find any...

A_A_H_G

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »

I didnt know that, quite interesting. Could you give some names of those particular stars?

Futhermore, I tried to spawn O-type stars but i couldn't find any...
[/quote]
I coudln´t find an example of those too because they are strange but astronomers proposed that WR stars came from most massive O-type stars and in the process of evolution they turn to LBV stars and those stars can produce a little kind of violet even LBV means Luminous Blue Variable, then they turn into WR.

MD2903

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 04:26:15 AM »
I'd like to see hypergiants as well, if stars will be updated  ;D

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »

They wouldn't be all that violet though, hotter-than-o-class stars would be a deeper blue than O class stars to a camera or the eye (like in US^2) though you're partially right, the peak emissions would be in the viole/ultraviolet range-it wouldn't look that though.

storm027

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 08:48:55 AM »
Still It would be interesting to see how big of a star the universe can make, probably too late to see through.

Only2ndplace

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 05:21:25 PM »
The reason there are only dark blue stars and no purple one's is, that the black body radiation, which is the same for all objects and only determined by temperature, doesn't span all wavelengths, but rather ends in the blue area of the spectrum.

Only2ndplace

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 05:43:09 PM »
Also on the topic of the star creation itself:

While there might not be the stars you desire in the simulation, you can easily create them yourself. Just choose the according mass, radius, temperature and luminosity.

If you want large masses or radii, you might need to turn off Realistic in the stars Basic property window or it's gonna explode.

The luminosity doesn't really change the look of the star, because it's hard to replicate starring into the sun with a silly old LED screen. (Also no one would like to play, if they were constantly blinded)
But, if your star is more luminous it might burn up close planets or simply make them hotter.

The most important part however is the temperature, because that defines the colour of the star.
Just look up the corresponding colour on Wikipedia or try experimenting yourself.
You'll also notice, that in game the colour won't change, once you're over 30000 K, as you can also see in the diagramm in my last post.
Those stars are also dark blue, like they should be.

As for brown dwarves, just take Jupiter and increase it's mass. Around 50 Jupiters, you should see an effect ;)

Plasmic Physics

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 01:21:14 AM »
I find it ironic that many of the available real stars, is actually unstable and self-destructs when Realistic is turned on. Something is very wrong there.

Only2ndplace

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
I find it ironic that many of the available real stars, is actually unstable and self-destructs when Realistic is turned on. Something is very wrong there.

That is true, but I think it's definitely something they're yoing to work on, once fragmentation and Roche limit are properly implemented.

MD2903

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 12:17:57 PM »

That is true, but I think it's definitely something they're yoing to work on, once fragmentation and Roche limit are properly implemented.

There will be much more complete stellar evolution for different masses in alpha 21

storm027

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 03:56:51 AM »
I really can't wait for alpha 21.

Ergosphere

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 09:00:13 AM »
I changed the composition of the sun to 100% Iron, but absolutely nothing happened. Shouldn't Fusion stop and the star shrink into a white dwarf state?

Only2ndplace

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
Technically yes, but with stuff like this it's hard to say, how it would "look" like exactly. After all there's no natural process, that just turns a star completely into iron, so there's really no way to know what would happen to the outer layer for example from experiments.
But apart from the visuals, it would be cool to at least have the collapse into a white dwarf.
Still, there's much other stuff, that should be given precedence over little details like that
and like others have said, stellar evolution is still in the working.