Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Accretion  (Read 8108 times)

william212

Accretion
« on: July 14, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »
I’ve read a few posts on accretion and I’ve been playing around with various models using both non-attracting and attracting bodies of various sizes. 

I realize I’m exploring low gravity, low mass simulation and such simulations aren’t the intent of “Universe” SB2 .

I’ve had some success leveraging ring systems, though often fragmented collisions result in particles that exceed escape velocity, never slowing down and never attracting.  One method I’ve deployed is creating rings of bodies around a small asteroid, sometimes deleting the asteroid, other times leaving it as a seed.  Moons work better as seed objects, though you still experience the issue of objects being flung out into space.  Playing with these simulations would lead one to conclude that solar systems are impossible to form. :)

Would anyone know what the minimum mass thresholds are for attracting bodies to actually attract?  Gram-sized bodies  report minimal gravity yet even with simulations running hundreds of years with relative speeds initially set to zero, I see no attraction.

On accretion, regardless of mass bodies that collide merge rather than rebound or adhere.