Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need help for a Game of Thrones related simulation - comet and moon collision  (Read 2942 times)

Hey there folks, this may sound a teensy bit strange but hear me out.  The books which the show "A Game of Thrones" are based on are called "A Song of Ice and Fire," and in it, the author has hidden a foggy memory of an ancient comet-moon collision which rained down meteors (magic ones, because it's fantasy) on the planet and created a volcanic-winter type scenario which had lasting consequences for the entire planet. He's hidden the memories of this event in the myth and folklore of the background story - something like their version of a flood myth, which is known as the "Long Night."  I have a fairly successful blog and podcast(https://lucifermeanslightbringer.com) uncovering this tremendously clever backstory, and I am attempting to use universal sandbox to simulate a hypothetical version of this moon explosion event. Unfortunately I am having a bit of trouble.

First off, is anyone who is experienced with this software interested in working with me to create what I am looking for? I have over 40,000 downloads of my 7 podcast episodes so far, so if you are interested, you will gain notoriety inside the Game of Thrones fandom, for whatever amusement that's worth. :)

After that, I have a few specific questions. How do you rewind? Seems like a super basic question, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to rewind a simulation once it's been set into action. Also, I cannot seem to load simulations that I have saved. When I open the simulations folder to find the ones I've saved, I see my saved simulations open up in a folder, but when I try to open one, my comp (a Mac) asks me to choose an application to open it with, and Steam is greyed out, unelectable. Anyone know how to open your saved sims?

What I am specifically trying to create is a more or less earthbound view of a moon being impacted by a freakishly large comet while that moon is in solar eclipse position. It should look something like this at the moment of impact, but I would like to create a video of the moments before and after impact:

https://lucifermeanslightbringer.com/?attachment_id=952

This earth-like planet actually has two moons, with the one to be exploded in eclipse position and the other close by in the foreground, looking on with a front row seat. The secondary moon is not as important... hopefully you can get the idea.

Thanks all and I look forward to bringing this thing to life so I can use it to make an excellent short video version of the basic element of my podcast. Cheers!

- LmL

Hmmm, it doesn't seem as though you can export a video. There must be some way to get around that. It would be a nice feature to have, surely.

tesco

• Sauce
This is a really well made post and it's slowly being dragged down. This kinda should be noticed considering the effort he has made in this post

Only2ndplace

I'll try to set up a scenario like this tommorrow, though I think timing it with a solar eclipse might be bit hard.
If you want to try yourself:
  • I don't think there's a rewind button in game, since it's a step by step calculation
  • You can find your sims under "My sims". Go to Open from the main menu and then scroll to the far right in the pictures at the top (i. e. All, Core, Physics)
  • If you want to land on a planet, select the planet, point your mouse at the location and press "c"

EDIT:
There's also already a Game of Thrones simulation in the "Fiction" tab of the simulations. Though there are only two suns (to explain the unpredictability of seasons, see here: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/1c7pr1/westeros_may_have_two_suns/) and a planet in this one and no moons.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:26:39 PM by Only2ndplace »