Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Umm... is that the same in RL?  (Read 4484 times)

Hyper_Schnitzel

• Physics is Phun!
Umm... is that the same in RL?
« on: May 08, 2016, 05:43:33 AM »
So here is what happened: i made a random gas giant and a random rocky planet. the giant was pretty small and had less mass but higher radius than the rocky one. as they orbited, the giant got into the roche Limit of the rocky and dissolved.
now i dont know if that woulld happen in real life... is it even possible to have a gas giant with less mass than a rocky planet?

DoctorWh0?

• You...shall not...pass!!!(This physics test)
Re: Umm... is that the same in RL?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:47:14 AM »
Hmmmm...How dense was the gas giant and how dense was the rocky planet, and how close where they?

Hyper_Schnitzel

• Physics is Phun!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:36 AM »
Hmmmm...How dense was the gas giant and how dense was the rocky planet, and how close where they?
god damn it! i already deleted the sim...

but what i also found out is that, if you have two planets with almost the same mass and they get close, only the smaller heats up. but shouldn't it be that the smaller heats up the bigger also a bit?

Hyper_Schnitzel

• Physics is Phun!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 05:55:10 AM »
god damn it! i already deleted the sim...

but what i also found out is that, if you have two planets with almost the same mass and they get close, only the smaller heats up. but shouldn't it be that the smaller heats up the bigger also a bit?
alright. i made a new one, and it happened again.
the Giant had a density of 264 kg/m^3 and a mass of 5.17 earth
and the rocky had a density of 6.16 g/cm^3 and a mass of 2.28 earth (last time, the rocky was less heavy aswell. i got it wrong)

and they were about 20'000 km apart

DoctorWh0?

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 08:24:42 AM »
Then its a bug or something.... :P

DoctorWh0?

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
I don't know why one doesn't heat up, but maybe the change is so small it isn't measurable currently.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 10:38:32 PM »
So here is what happened: i made a random gas giant and a random rocky planet. the giant was pretty small and had less mass but higher radius than the rocky one. as they orbited, the giant got into the roche Limit of the rocky and dissolved.
now i dont know if that woulld happen in real life... is it even possible to have a gas giant with less mass than a rocky planet?

In reality both bodies will get heated. Earth gets heated by the moon pulling in its crust and the oceans sloshing about, though obviously not by a lot, and in your case there should also be heating.
The reason it did not perform, as you expected, is that currently this heating effect is tied into the orbital parent calculation, and in the example you give only one is considered in orbit around the other. We are currently rewriting the heating calculation and tying it into orbital locking to get better energy/momentum conservation and when that is done, it should be better.