Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Enabling (xbox) game controller moves camera forward constantly  (Read 8243 times)

Carr

Hi!

As soon as i flip the "Use game controller" switch on, the game camera starts moving forward as if the right trigger is held down. (I can somewhat compensate by holding the left trigger half way down.)

This happens both in desktop and VR mode. I've tried both Xbox one and Xbox 360 controllers with the same result. The controllers are properly calibrated, windows reports no input from any trigger when they're not held down and there's no "drift", the dead zone is pretty large.
I have no similar problems with either controller in any other games.

Any suggestions?

Padreic

• Developer
Re: Enabling (xbox) game controller moves camera forward constantly
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »
That's interesting (and frustrating I'm sure!).  Sorry to hear that's causing you grief.

I'm not seeing this happen by default with either a 360 or XB1 controller, but I do have an idea as to what you're seeing.  Could you please let me know if this happens on certain sims only or if you see this in all of them? 

I'd suggest loading the "Solar System" sim and "New Horizon Pluto Encounter in 2015" sims and turn the controller on/off in both of them.  My guess is you'll see it happen in the New Horizon sim and not the Solar System.

Carr

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 03:03:01 PM »
Thanks for responding!

Regrettably, the problem is present in all sims.
I'm curious about what your theory is, though? (I'm guessing you figured it could be related to the initial camera velocity when loading a sim? Or whether the camera starts out attached to a moving object?)

That said, I did notice something new:

The *first* time i flip the switch after starting the game, nothing happens - the camera stays put as it should. This happens whether I stay in the default solar system sim or load a different one.

As soon as i touch *any* button on the controller, however briefly, the camera starts accelerating forward. From that point on, it will keep moving forward whenever the enable-switch is toggled on, regardless if I load different sims, until I quit and restart the program.

Any theories or wild ideas are welcome  :)

Padreic

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:44:37 AM »
You're pretty much spot-on with your assumption there; my thought was that what you are seeing was related to the initial camera velocity/pathing.  But if you're also seeing that in a sim where your camera is static then it's likely another root issue.

I'm not able to get this to happen on most sims, but I can see it in some, albeit not reliably for me.  My gut feeling is that we need to add a check to make sure enabling the controller doesn't register as any form of input.  Hopefully that will fix things up for all suck situations.

We'll look into this further and let you know!  Thanks again for the details!

Carr

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:58:58 PM »
Great, looking forward to further development.

Just got confirmation that a friend is experiencing the exact same problem with his xbone controller.
I've also kept html5gamepad.com up in a separate window while playing, to make sure no controller input is registered except what I'm actually pressing, and it looks clean.

If there's any additional debug information or other details I can provide, please let me know.

Padreic

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 12:31:51 PM »
Would you mind trying the controller again on the latest opt-in version (Alpha19preview) and see if you're still getting the same controller problems?  We're hoping you'll see that all fixed up.  I've included a link to changing versions below.

http://universesandbox.com/support/changeversion

Thanks!

Carr

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 02:35:28 PM »
Sorry, no change with alpha19preview. Problem still present :/

I recorded a quick video to illustrate the problem:

https://youtu.be/qLljrSDFhJs

The lower part shows gamepad input.

You'll see me button mashing the controller to illustrate what input looks like first, then loading up a fresh sim and flicking the game controller switch on and off a few times. In the end I try to compensate for the movement by holding down the left trigger button.

fanoffreedom

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 08:20:42 AM »
Hi.  Bringing this back as I am experiencing this issue and have just purchased the game today.  Any attempt at binding controller keys to thwart the screen from flying away also does not help as I am unable to bind controller keys.  Is there progress being made so that users can use controllers?  Is there a list of supported controllers that I am missing?

Padreic

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 11:29:15 AM »
Is there progress being made so that users can use controllers?  Is there a list of supported controllers that I am missing?

We have that controller issue in the system and plan on giving the whole controller input an overhaul in a future release.  Controller use was more tacked-on than designed for, and we'd like to give it some proper attention to improve its feel and function.