Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rocky Jupiters  (Read 3219 times)

Gregory

Rocky Jupiters
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
I opened the new button to create a new simulation, and I selected a random exoplanet, the planet's name is HD 74156 c, it is 8 x the mass of Jupiter and has a radius of 1.64 x that of Jupiter, it is one of the largest planets known, but, somehow, it has a rocky texture, I'm starting to believe that rocky Jupiters exist, though they must be very rare, if it's a bug, then it must be a cool one, if rocky Jupiters exist, then Jupiters with extreme densities must be terrestrials, making them extreme Mega Earths, and after all, Kepler-10 c was the first Mega Earth discovered, and it's only 2.35 x Earth's radius, but has an astounding 17.2 Earth masses, more than Neptune.
Kepler-22b is larger, but we're not sure whether it's terrestrial or neptunian, it could be both.

Cryo

Re: Rocky Jupiters
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »
I opened the new button to create a new simulation, and I selected a random exoplanet, the planet's name is HD 74156 c, it is 8 x the mass of Jupiter and has a radius of 1.64 x that of Jupiter, it is one of the largest planets known, but, somehow, it has a rocky texture, I'm starting to believe that rocky Jupiters exist, though they must be very rare, if it's a bug, then it must be a cool one, if rocky Jupiters exist, then Jupiters with extreme densities must be terrestrials, making them extreme Mega Earths, and after all, Kepler-10 c was the first Mega Earth discovered, and it's only 2.35 x Earth's radius, but has an astounding 17.2 Earth masses, more than Neptune.
Kepler-22b is larger, but we're not sure whether it's terrestrial or neptunian, it could be both.
a While back an extremely dense exo planet was found. SO dense that it couldn't be anything other then silicates.It was estimated to be around several times that of Jupiter size.So yeh....

Gregory

Re: Rocky Jupiters
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 07:58:33 PM »
Also, an unusual planet, Kepler-432b, was discovered orbiting a red subgiant, the planet is 45% bigger than jupiter in radius and 6 times more massive, so it's the densest planet ever discovered.

Here's a simulation of Kepler-432b, a blue ocean terrestrial Earth like look of the planet was chosen due to the extreme density and consistency of the planet, yet its rotation period is 30 minutes long because of its extreme density.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 05:47:39 PM by Gregory »