Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A simple orbit editor  (Read 4466 times)

CCalpha

A simple orbit editor
« on: March 23, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
Would it be possible to add a simple orbit editor? possibly something similar to KSP's maneuver nodes? or something that allows you to grab the apogee and perigee with some sort of slider. It would also be useful to add velocity to specific directions such as "+500 m/s to prograde".

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
Re: A simple orbit editor
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:12:08 AM »
If you go into "Orbit" or something like that under Motion, you will see the Apoapsis and the Periapsis. heights and you should be able to change them around manually.

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »
He stated he wants a simple orbit editor. I have never had the problem but i guess maybe this is a decent idea

Magnetarhyper4436

• 'HYPER'NOVAE!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 01:06:33 PM »
Kerbal works on a patched conic approximation system (things go on rails), which is why the maneuver node system works. But with US2 (or the principa mod), the orbits will change slightly and might not be what you expected. Besides, we've got the parameters in the orbit section
(eccentricity=how oval the orbit, inclination= how tilted the orbit, Argument of periapsis= moves the periapsis around,  Right Ascention= moves the ascention node around, Mean anomaly= Moves your position in the orbit, Semi-major axis & Orbital period keeps the same orbit parameters but change orbit length.)So we probably don't need an orbit editor.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:01:40 PM »
Universe Sandbox operates by calculating gravity in each step rather than calculating an appropriate orbit from the gravity, plus all of the other factors mentioned before. Although I would like to see this, in the same way that other games have gone more for 'hands on' editing rather than lots of sliders. Visible sliders of course should always remain so you can see what you're doing to it.