Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Artificial Life Created  (Read 3708 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Artificial Life Created
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
Watch this.
Craig Venter has just created a self replicating bacteria by putting together pieces of DNA. So we've created artificial life, not only an artificial virus, but now also an artificial bacteria.
What do you think about it? :)

matty406

Re: Artificial Life Created
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
Ahh, i remember seeing this mentioned on the news and i was going to look it up but forgot.

Brb purchasing a batch of DNA

sean2323

• We Space Now
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »
you know what sucks? all the non-religious people that want to do this are being stopped by idiots saying "dont play god" or "it is a sin to create life!" i say they should ignore those people but the government made it illigal because of all those "dont play god" idiots. meh, i'll just learn how they did that and make life myself.... when i get old enough :P

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:29:36 AM »
I think it's bad, because then terrorists are going to learn how to make synthetic viruses, and many will die. THen we will have to make millions of different vaccines, and the world will be a biohazard. Its scary when people make things like this, or discover things like making life. :-\

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
I think it's more useful than harmful. It can be used by terrorists, but terrorists usually don't have high-tech labs capable of fitting together thousands of pieces of DNA. If terrorists wanted to, they could also nuke the world, but similarly, they don't have the tools to create nuclear weapons.
There is always a risk, but consider how useful these life-creating tools could be. We could nearly instantly create vaccines, we could use this for many beneficial things.

And sean2323, I totally agree with you. Religious "arguments" don't belong anywhere before the imaginary friend(s) in it is(/are) proven to exist. :)
If they wanted to stop the research, they should find some arguments that apply to reality.