Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Alternate ecosystems  (Read 4664 times)

Plutonium

Alternate ecosystems
« on: January 29, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »
Is anyone here interested in alternate ecosystems?
example: what if earth was orbiting a binary star or had a highly elliptic orbit.... How would the living things look like? etc....etc....

Sinperium

Re: Alternate ecosystems
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:01:51 AM »
I'd love there to be a "habitable zone toggle" that would allow you to view parameters up for life differing from that on earth.

xhenif

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:16:07 PM »
I think that maybe these features in the game will be very complex and that situations vary greatly and small changes that would respect a planetary bodies and their positions could create numerous notable differences that would be difficult to reproduce in the game, I do not know, It could be somewhat difficult, at least if we were to take in mind the entire spectrum of the subject, on the other hand, something that might not be so complex if both its creation and its role in the game would be the color of the vegetation in the planet, let me explain:
-
if a theoretically habitable planet orbited one type M star, the light spectrum that vegetation should absorb more  would in infrared, so it should acquire a brown or black color, while K-type stars should acquire an orange or red Color and etc.., and so would vary and would be observed from the planet's orbit depending on the light spectrum of the star.
-
I think in that regard would be more easier to recreate at least one part to start slowly.

pd: sorry if some words are wrong English is not my mother language.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:27:37 PM by xhenif »

Plutonium

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »
I did not suggest modelling of all the details. I was more interested in discussions and speculations. For example: I have The Earth orbiting a binary system, the orbital period is 7 years and the obliquity is 40deg, etc., etc.. It will be interesting to speculate what kind of creatures could have been around, what could a planetary explorer encounter??

I've seen TV shows showing flying whales and jet propelled birds, but they all seem rather childish to me.

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »
I usually wonder what would happen if no asteroids hit Earth after life evolved

Plutonium

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 06:45:13 AM »
I usually wonder what would happen if no asteroids hit Earth after life evolved

Well their role is rather marginal. The impact theory was popular some time before when researchers were trying to explain every major extinction by an asteroid impact. That trend quickly cooled down due to the lack of evidence. The most publicised impact is the KT impact that killed the dinosaurs. But even that is not "set in stone".
An interesting article to read http://www.pnas.org/content/101/11/3753.full.pdf

The biggest life killer has always been the habitat loss.

So if the KT impact did not happen then, I assume, the extinction would still have occurred but it would have been less severe. We could have had more variety of reptiles today competing with mammals. I doubt that the large species would survive the Quaternary glaciation though.

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 09:35:25 AM »
I'd imagine that this idea would be implemented later after the major features, when they start tidying up the smaller bits and polishing.