Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [KNOWN] Atmosphere only shows on one side with double stars  (Read 2917 times)

Deadpangod3

[KNOWN] Atmosphere only shows on one side with double stars
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
I was trying to make Earth around a binary star system , by having a small star orbit within a larger ones habitable zone, then having Earth orbit within the smaller star's zone.

However, as it orbited I noticed it's atmosphere only showed on the side facing its parent star, while the other side was lit, but no atmosphere shown.

So I did a test, and placed several planets (Earth) into the habitable zone of different stars, with a lot more in the simulation, and they all pointed to a 4.07 solar mass white star several light years away.

I'm not a coder by any means, but I think it may be related to brightness or mass, as every planet's atmosphere pointed to that particular one, even with other closer stars in the simulation.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:00:24 PM by Jar »

vmorgo

Re: [BUG] Atmosphere only shows on one side with double stars
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:38 PM »
I was trying to make Earth around a binary star system , by having a small star orbit within a larger ones habitable zone, then having Earth orbit within the smaller star's zone.

However, as it orbited I noticed it's atmosphere only showed on the side facing its parent star, while the other side was lit, but no atmosphere shown.

So I did a test, and placed several planets (Earth) into the habitable zone of different stars, with a lot more in the simulation, and they all pointed to a 4.07 solar mass white star several light years away.

I'm not a coder by any means, but I think it may be related to brightness or mass, as every planet's atmosphere pointed to that particular one, even with other closer stars in the simulation.

I second this bug--it's a rather old one, at least since V 16.x Alpha.  Running Linux, Ubuntu 14.04-based distro, 64-bit, 24 CPUs, 48 GB RAM, NVidia graphics.

A./

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: [KNOWN] Atmosphere only shows on one side with double stars
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:33 PM »
Thanks for reporting. This is a known issue, caused by the way atmospheres are rendered right now to handle only one light source. This will be addressed when we rework atmospheres in the future.