Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Put your "map" instead of the default (Universe Sandbox 2)  (Read 7600 times)

Sermor

Put your "map" instead of the default (Universe Sandbox 2)
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:20:26 AM »
As the title suggests, for example, you can put its own map instead of the default of the Earth?

If so, in what format (.jpeg or other)?

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
Re: Put your "map" instead of the default (Universe Sandbox 2)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:11:36 AM »
you can't replace planet height maps at the moment.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »
As the title suggests, for example, you can put its own map instead of the default of the Earth?

If so, in what format (.jpeg or other)?

You mean textures, and I've been asking about this for a very long time...

Sermor

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »
Well, for example, I have a program "generation maps", and output formats ranging from classic jpeg or bmp file to for example the one used for google earth (I forget the extension, but in practice you can upload your own map in google earth). I wonder whether it is possible to insert such a thing, in the US2, or maybe get him to use less stuff "problem" to be created (short stuff "spirting").

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
Well, for example, I have a program "generation maps", and output formats ranging from classic jpeg or bmp file to for example the one used for google earth (I forget the extension, but in practice you can upload your own map in google earth). I wonder whether it is possible to insert such a thing, in the US2, or maybe get him to use less stuff "problem" to be created (short stuff "spirting").

What is this program if I may ask? I'm kind of obsessed with making/getting textures for this very purpose in Universe Sandbox Legacy which has that feature (And is probably the only thing the old one is better at doing--or can do at all)
I have lots in case this is ever implemented, and I would like to share them but I've tried and most places, there's too many for me to send to anyone ._.

Sermor

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 05:28:08 AM »

What is this program if I may ask? I'm kind of obsessed with making/getting textures for this very purpose in Universe Sandbox Legacy which has that feature (And is probably the only thing the old one is better at doing--or can do at all)
I have lots in case this is ever implemented, and I would like to share them but I've tried and most places, there's too many for me to send to anyone ._.

The program in question is called Fractal Mapper 3.

You can also change or add texture to the ground, or the clouds, but I never succeeded in this, however.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »

The program in question is called Fractal Mapper 3.

You can also change or add texture to the ground, or the clouds, but I never succeeded in this, however.

Ah, I typically use Grand Designer to make mine.

Really?

Sermor

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »

Really?

FT3 as you can guess from the name is a generator of maps fractals (you can use various types of algorithms). And in addition to being able to export to Google Earth (you would see them as a planet, but instead the Earth is your map), you can export this map programs for "cartographic" 2d in the same family (of those used also for making maps fantasy).

Anyway, I did not know this Grand Designer, we throw a look.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »

Really?

FT3 as you can guess from the name is a generator of maps fractals (you can use various types of algorithms). And in addition to being able to export to Google Earth (you would see them as a planet, but instead the Earth is your map), you can export this map programs for "cartographic" 2d in the same family (of those used also for making maps fantasy).

Nice

It can do basically all the same things besides rivers, and without fractals. Instead it uses different types of noise generators, which contrary to what it sounds like, works pretty well. Just as one example, I made this planet with it

Sermor

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 02:54:16 PM »

Really?

Nice

It can do basically all the same things besides rivers, and without fractals. Instead it uses different types of noise generators, which contrary to what it sounds like, works pretty well. Just as one example, I made this planet with it

Nice, and this program (Grand Designer) allows you to create even entire solar systems, or only planets?

What you can edit in this program? For example there are maps in ft3 "climatic" (ie the various biomes: tundra, desert, temperate forest etc.) Can be set via some value (certainly not have a variety of environments realistic, but at least you have an idea of who we biomes They are based on various settings). The same thing is in Grand Designer?

Here are a couple of screen FT3 however:

[img=http://s7.postimg.org/3juc1bpcn/ft3.jpg]

[img=http://s7.postimg.org/difansys7/ft3cli.jpg]

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 06:31:05 PM »

Really?

Nice

Nice, and this program (Grand Designer) allows you to create even entire solar systems, or only planets?

What you can edit in this program? For example there are maps in ft3 "climatic" (ie the various biomes: tundra, desert, temperate forest etc.) Can be set via some value (certainly not have a variety of environments realistic, but at least you have an idea of who we biomes They are based on various settings). The same thing is in Grand Designer?

Here are a couple of screen FT3 however:

[img=http://s7.postimg.org/3juc1bpcn/ft3.jpg]

[img=http://s7.postimg.org/difansys7/ft3cli.jpg]

Only the planets, but with the right settings you can make basically any type of planet. The solar system making I do in Universe Sandbox Legacy since it has the feature of adding your own textures (not that great but hey it's something)

Grand Designer doesn't have outright biome settings but you can get similar effects, again, with the right settings, mainly due to the fact that it can make many types of planets (nearly all of which wouldn't even have biomes, but it can as you saw make Earthlike planets) For instance, creating a planet with lava oceans is possible, but there is no "lava" setting for oceans/lakes, you have to make the oceans an orangish-red, then turn the water emissive up a bit to make it glow like lava.
You can also add desert zones and ice caps, though, and vegetation and sediment (which typically I use the sediment as the overall vegetation/ground color and the vegetation as forests/jungles ect.) Each layer (ie. sediment, vegetation, desert, ice cap, cloud, ect.) can be non-used if desired. Though it's still in alpha like US2, but in version 1.0 (the next planned version) cities and roads (with city lights on the night side of the planet) will be added. I could give many examples  and type long long pargrphs about whats possible with it, honestly, and it's very helpful for creating planets for US Legacy.

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »
Am I doing it right?