Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lag spikes and memory usage.  (Read 2480 times)

RileyGuy1000

Lag spikes and memory usage.
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:50:50 PM »
Hi, I absolutely love this game to pieces. However I'm experiencing some god-awful issues that infuriate me to no end. After a while of playing with planets and such, I start to get regular lag spikes that aren't just the in-game physics, it happens to the menus as well. Loading a new save does not fix this. I have tried other startup options as well such as -forcecpu and -force-opengl. Forcecpu does nothing, and forcing opengl makes the screen constantly pink, yet I can still hear the game sounds. I would love nothing more than to play this game without any of these issues. Hopefully some of you wonderful folks can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

RileyGuy1000

Re: Lag spikes and memory usage.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:31:49 AM »
Anybody?

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »
Sorry for the trouble, and for the delayed response. Can you please try to reproduce the issue then send us your log file?

http://universesandbox.com/support/emaillog

There might be something in the log which will point to what's causing the lag.

vmorgo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 07:59:34 PM »
Noticed similar lagging/crashing issues, too, under Linux (OpenSUSE 13.2, OpenSUSE Leap 42.1, Mint 17.3, Mint 17.1.).  Usually, rebooting the program cleans this up, though sometimes it is necessary to reboot the system.  I do NOT know what may be the case with Windows, but I do suggest that the user consider:
1.  Use nVidia drivers if using nVidia GPUs.  Do not use substitute "Nouveau" drivers, as, unfortunately, good as these are, they do not work well (or at all) with Universe Sandbox 2. 
2.  Review the nVidia drivers, especially with Windows.  Some hardware (older cards, for example) work better with older drivers.  Versions around 173 to 175 (I do not recall exactly which) and 340-342 were demonstrably superior to other (including newer) versions.
3.  Similar comments could probably be applied to Intel and AMD Radeon drivers, but as I do not have any of these, I cannot be sure.