Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If US2 had multiplayer features  (Read 7794 times)

Robrules3

If US2 had multiplayer features
« on: December 26, 2015, 06:09:15 AM »
Imagine if US2 had some multiplayer features... Imagine a game mode where u would vs another player trying to make the most habitable planet under a set time limit....imagine....

Re: If US2 had multiplayer features
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
Imagine if US2 had some multiplayer features... Imagine a game mode where u would vs another player trying to make the most habitable planet under a set time limit....imagine....
I'm not completely sure how that would work out, because generally sandboxes are not Multiplayer, besides I like universe sandbox the same way it is right now

Craftmaster

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 03:02:26 PM »
Or it could be a Multiplayer co-op where you can make a planetary system together!
It sound brilliant to me.  ;D

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 01:01:08 AM »
This might sound a bit harsh. Im so tired of seeing topics like this. This is a universal astronomical body/physics space simulator. That is really awesome. This isn't star citizen, this isn't space engine, this isn't space engineers, this isn't any thing but a really advanced universe physics sim. So stop bugging the crap out of the devs about foolish things like "multiplayer in a space sim". Multiplayer belongs in games like Just Cause 3. Not a universe sim.
If you people don't stop asking for foolish things like multiplayer and space ships, the devs might go crasy, where you should be asking how are things going every now and then.
Farthermore, stop saying that US2 sucks just because it takes a while for perfection. You should be congratulating them for what they have done so far and for what is to come.
Not bullying them for not obeying your every demand.
 I'd rather let them have a month or 2 off if it were my choice.
They've done enough to last a lifetime, no, a thousand lifetimes. Maybe even more!
 Don't hate, appreciate!

Robrules3

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
This might sound a bit harsh. Im so tired of seeing topics like this. This is a universal astronomical body/physics space simulator. That is really awesome. This isn't star citizen, this isn't space engine, this isn't space engineers, this isn't any thing but a really advanced universe physics sim. So stop bugging the crap out of the devs about foolish things like "multiplayer in a space sim". Multiplayer belongs in games like Just Cause 3. Not a universe sim.
If you people don't stop asking for foolish things like multiplayer and space ships, the devs might go crasy, where you should be asking how are things going every now and then.
Farthermore, stop saying that US2 sucks just because it takes a while for perfection. You should be congratulating them for what they have done so far and for what is to come.
Not bullying them for not obeying your every demand.
 I'd rather let them have a month or 2 off if it were my choice.
They've done enough to last a lifetime, no, a thousand lifetimes. Maybe even more!
 Don't hate, appreciate!
Im not sure when I said "US2 Should have multiplayer features", do you not see the word imagine? Im not expecting multiplayer features at all. And where did I say US2 sucks? I have over 30 hours play time

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »
I meant every one else not just you.

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:20 PM »
minecraft and terraria are sandboxes and have multiplayer

william212

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »
Mutiplayer would be interesting in engaging kids (and adults!) into learning the Newtonian motion.

Thinking of a game that mimics interstellar war or interplanetary war with asteroids as the weapons - Think of "Starship Troopers."

• Each player can create a own planetary system with a populated asteroid belt or belongs to the same system but has planets and moons between them.
  • Players can then "launch" asteroids at the opposition
  • Players must select the right mass and apply the right velocity, all the while considering how gravitational attraction from other bodies will affect the flight path
  • For the sake of game-play in an interstellar model, travel time would be quicker than v/t.  Black holes and other objects can be placed in between to study their effects.

The objective would be to consider how gravity affects the velocity vector of your launched asteroids.

This along with my earlier thoughts on spaceflight all lead to having a model where you can repeatedly replicate the same experiment with slightly different vectors, leading to a greater understanding of how gravity interacts with mass and velocity.

quantumMechanic

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »
While I agree that this would be cool, it just doesn't seem fitting for a game like this.

DoctorWh0?

• You...shall not...pass!!!(This physics test)
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »
Okay. There. I am actually getting frustrated with Angel Armageddon. You criticize bright ideas that could have their own place in the future. This forum was made for a reason-suggesting things. Not debating whether something is pointless, lying about someone and being a hater.  :(

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
I'm completely neutral about the multiplayer feature kind of thing. I don't say yes but i don't say no.

Pros of yes
-More engaging so you would spend more time on the game
-Cool to experiment with
-Could make the game much more popular

Cons of yes
-Not a good idea with a sandbox
-Not sure it would fit in
-You would have to make a main menu for co-op and that would take ages.
-Servers would cost money to run

More cons than pros but i remain neutral on this

tesco

• Sauce
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 01:10:05 PM »
Basically i believe it would be pointless to have co-op as there would be any significant positive effects

william212

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »
I view 'multiplayer' as an engaging way to teach orbital mechanics. 

Throw in to the points I made above with the gravitational effects of approaching bodies and you quickly grasp how mass times acceleration equals force (send that 1kg asteroid smashing into your opponent's planet at 6,000kmh!)  only to have it diverted off-target through a close-flyby of your opponent's moon.

Through Kerbal (which was a great recommendation) my son's recent "insight" is that he has to tally the mass of all the components of his rocket and not just strap on an engine with a lot of thrust.

Insights which lead to innate understanding.

Hyper_Schnitzel

• Physics is Phun!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »
minecraft and terraria are sandboxes and have multiplayer
yeah, but in US2, you dont fight with swords and bows... US2 is a Gravity simulator not a real "game" with stories or such stuff ;)

acvyse

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »

I think a lot of people misconstrue Universe Sandbox as a "game". US is more of a physics teaching tool.

Only2ndplace

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »
I too think a multiplayer is unnecessary. Here are my two cents:
  • if you would play together in one system, just messing around, you would probably just
    end up messing up each others simulations
  • competitive system building can easily be done as it is now. Just use a stopwatch and take turns or use two games. You even have the forum for stuff like this, so just go ahead and challenge other players
  • there are many other games, if you're looking for a gravity based shooter. It's just not the goal of Universe Sandbox, to provide something llike that. 

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »

if you would play together in one system, just messing around, you would probably just

Not necessarily. If you and a friend were making a galaxy together it wouldn't be a problem.

Only2ndplace

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 10:43:52 AM »

if you would play together in one system, just messing around, you would probably just

Not necessarily. If you and a friend were making a galaxy together it wouldn't be a problem.

True, but if you put too much stuff in, there's also the danger of lag.
On top of that, you can just give your save to a friend, if they want ro work on it.
You can't do stuff at the same time this way, but it's an option.

Robrules3

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 12:41:17 AM »
Im surprised this thread still gets quite a bit of attention. When I suggested multiplayer features I wasn't implying that US2 is a 'game' and should be targeted towards kids. I just thought it would be cool if there were more multiplayer elements. I don't really know how this would even be implemented, and if it were, it would probably be in the far future.