Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Soo... Terraforming mars...  (Read 23074 times)

BrandCollision

• I am a major fanboy of space games :)
Soo... Terraforming mars...
« on: November 17, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
So, with the new life expectancy thingimajig, I have desided to try and make that pretty high for mars... Soo... Heres what i did

More atmosphere. Magnetic field. Climate on. Closer too the sun. Moar water. Some organics.

And yet... "Life liklyhood: 0.0136"

WHAT DID I DO SO WRONG?!
Even after adding a moon (charon), Nothing happened to the value

At least its better than venus, Wich has 0 life liklyhood :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:56:56 PM by BrandCollision »

Physics_Hacker

Re: Soo... Terraforming mars...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »
The problem is Mars' mass, the system takes that into consideration...

BrandCollision

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
Thats wierd. Mass shouldnt really matter. I mean, Unless the mass is too high, i can't see that being a hinderance - If anything low mass should INCREASE the life liklyhood. Because it wouldnt have to deal with such strong gravity.

Craftmaster

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »
The problem might be the greenhouse effect
 :P

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »
Thats wierd. Mass shouldnt really matter. I mean, Unless the mass is too high, i can't see that being a hinderance - If anything low mass should INCREASE the life liklyhood. Because it wouldnt have to deal with such strong gravity.

But it would also make it more difficult for water and an atmosphere to stay on the planet, plus a few other more minor factors, and so the likelihood that things will work out the same as they did here goes down.

BrandCollision

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »
The problem might be the greenhouse effect
 :P

I gave it an atmosphere. And changed its orbit to 0.90 AU - Thats closer too the sun than earth, And with the atmosphere the greenhouse should be there.

And to the other guy whome i forget the name of that talked about "Atmosphere and water would be stripped" I gave it a magnetic field, Wich would deflect probably 99.9999% of the suns radiation, making it very unlikly that it would lose atmosphere or whatever

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »
Lol apparently Earth has less than 100% life likelihood

kallisti

• I'm trying.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
I guess any planet would, as there are no conditions that guarantee life. Not that we know of yet, at least.

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
but we know for sure earth has life, thats why it should be 100%

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »

The life thing isn't as to whether the planet might have life, rather, whether it could have life: There is a difference, one means whether it does or not, the other means whether it has the capability to have life: Just because the odds worked out here that Earth does have life doesn't mean it's perfect for life, so there's a 100% chancce of life--No planet can have a 100% chance of life taking hold.

joakandr

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 06:46:22 PM »

The life thing isn't as to whether the planet might have life, rather, whether it could have life: There is a difference, one means whether it does or not, the other means whether it has the capability to have life: Just because the odds worked out here that Earth does have life doesn't mean it's perfect for life, so there's a 100% chancce of life--No planet can have a 100% chance of life taking hold.

Agreed, but Earth similarity should always be 1 though, and it varies from 0.997 to 1 depending on where it is in the orbit.

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 12:13:18 AM »

true

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »

Agreed, but Earth similarity should always be 1 though, and it varies from 0.997 to 1 depending on where it is in the orbit.

That's because there are certain values (ex.temperature) that combined will give an esi of 1, but Earth doesn't always have those values, so it's not always 1.

Deadpangod3

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 11:57:32 AM »
the temperature has to be like earths aswell, not just in that zone, so like 8 degrees C will lower similarity, so will mass, rotation rate, diameter, and such will affect it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:53:44 AM by Deadpangod3 »

vmorgo

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 07:43:10 AM »
All very good points worth further research.  I am also using a modified "Mars" to model the desert world of Kesh from "Kesh: The Sands of Destiny".  Generally, I am able to get a "probability of life" of somewhere between 0.4 and 0.6, and that's not half bad, considering that we're talking about a remarkably arid world orbiting an M0.5 red dwarf  primary that shares its orbit with an F8-type star that is in the process of evolving into a red giant!

A./

P. S.  Magnetic field on, and mass is somewhere about 70 to 90% of earth's.  Atmospheric pressure is a little higher at 1.06.  Can't seem to get any respectably sized moon to orbit, though--Hill-sphere too small--the red dwarf primary yanks the moon away from Kesh, and the moon ends up in its own orbit.  I do get stable solutions though, if the moon is very small--about the size of Dione--or rather, about the MASS of Dione, and orbiting at a distance of about 26000 to 45000 AU.

Planet is anywhere from 45 to 78 lunar distances from the red dwarf, distances presumably being measured from center to center, rather than surface to surface.

CarolAnthony

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »
Not so fast... i just terraformed the mars and i know this is an old thread my mars life likelihood is 88.4 With A Binary Star System Alpha C A And B And The Orbits Are Very Stable.. I was tweaking the greenhouse gasses , mass , atmosphere and Magnetic Field... I also Tweak The magnetic pole angle to 3 Degrees https://imgur.com/a/sTde4 < Picture Of My Cantauri Planet It is actually a mars i just named it to Cantauri Because Of The Binary System https://imgur.com/a/L7rtj < Binary System And Planet Orbits
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:31:01 AM by CarolAnthony »

SyzygyΣE

• | Take Me Higher |
    • Steam
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »
The trick to achieving a high life likelihood is simply to just create another Earth. It's not as complicated as many think it is. Of course, it's not realistic to create a second, identical Earth because planets are unique, but that's how the likelihood is calculated. If you made all the parameters of Mars the same as Earth, you'd end up with a life likelihood of 90% or more, for sure.

I managed to achieve a life likelihood of 90.9%.

CarolAnthony

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 07:47:24 AM »
Yeah i did that trick lol..

Edit: If only the Other Planets Have a Climate Change Option And North Pole Cap And South Then We can Terraform Them. I Tried Many Planets But No Cap Showed.. So The Only Way To Do It Is On Mars And Earth..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:52:14 AM by CarolAnthony »

Sugarback

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 09:46:14 AM »
They should add something where you can tell there is life like earth has lights at night. In addition it would be cool to see maybe space ships traveling between planets especially habitable ones and even man made satellites. This is all pretty grand but it would be awesome. Also wouldnt be disappointed if nukes were added so i can nuke the moon.