Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Spacecraft/Propulsion physics/man-made objects?  (Read 5369 times)

CCalpha

Spacecraft/Propulsion physics/man-made objects?
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »
(*This is copied from one of my previous comments that I feel deserves to be a topic of its own*)

The one thing I can't do without is more man-made objects and spacecraft with realistic propulsion, I really want to simulate fictional and historical missions like recreating the Apollo missions or simulating Interstellar flight. Possibly simulate launches and landings as well as Atmospheric flight. Also a wide variety of spacecraft from fictional starships, to satellites, mars rovers, lunar landers, space shuttles, probes and colony ships. Its also Important to have realistic waypoints, and fuel/supply usage. Simulated crew which require resources such as food/water/appropriate living conditions and have a effect on the ships mass and maneuverability. I feel that these kind of things can be easily done with a simple "pilot/crew" interface. And possibly in future updates adding realistic comm's, intel on planets/locations and even player piloted from the first person cockpit of ships like Microsoft Flight Simulator, (include landing strips and launch pads). What good is a space simulator with no realistic way of simulating manned space flights. (20 m diameter teapots with X,Y,Z set velocity won't suffice)

This post was inspired by the "New Horizons Pluto Encounter in 2015" simulation.

(Images are Photoshop concept art)

Plutonium

Re: Spacecraft/Propulsion physics/man-made objects?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »
...What good is a space simulator with no realistic way of simulating manned space flights.

I always thought it is a universe simulator with primary focus on natural phenomenon. All this fuel, oxigen, food, poop....... seems like you are in a wrong game's forum.... That said, I would love to see realisticly destructable spaceships when thay are hit by asteroids )))

CCalpha

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
It's such a good engine to build off of and not exactly a hard interface to make. Imagine looking out of a port hole of a spaceship and seeing planets pass by, that would really be an immersive experience. The whole food/water/supply thing is just an idea but isn't exactly a critical part of it. What is most important is simulated  objects with propulsion and waypoints, as well as orbital, landing and launching capabilities.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:38:10 AM by CCalpha »

Plutonium

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »
It's such a good engine to build off of and not exactly a hard interface to make. Imagine looking out of a port hole of a spaceship and seeing planets pass by, that would really be an immersive experience. The whole food/water/supply thing is just an idea but isn't exactly a critical part of it. What is most important is simulated  objects with propulsion and waypoints, as well as orbital, landing and launching capabilities.

Well, I guess it is just not my thing. I prefere simulating climates using alternative orbital\planetary\star parameters, collisions and their aftermaths, etc., etc....

As for simulating objects with propulsion... Depends what you mean by that- do you suggest some sort of 3D Algodoo??

CCalpha

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITwYEIY2FlE

^Basically the kind of experience I'm trying to recreate

romar_ro

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »
did you know ksp maybe is what you want

romar_ro

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
Is there a way to create models and then add them to the universe. I was thinking of simulating ringworld from Lary Niven's book. I want to simulate only a portion of it lets say I want to see how fast has to be moving to create gravity (I know I can do the math) but it is way better for students to see it moving. And maybe with the atmospheric simulation I can simulate see the environment heating due to the star.

Plutonium

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
Is there a way to create models and then add them to the universe. I was thinking of simulating ringworld from Lary Niven's book. I want to simulate only a portion of it lets say I want to see how fast has to be moving to create gravity (I know I can do the math) but it is way better for students to see it moving. And maybe with the atmospheric simulation I can simulate see the environment heating due to the star.

Unfortunately there is no modding support atm, you can't even change the texture of the planet.

CCalpha

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »
did you know ksp maybe is what you want

KSP doesn't have system/body creation and Universe sandbox's potential is limitless considering what we've already got.

The Hacker

• You Have been Hacked
    • Master Cyber
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »
 There also some way to create human made satellite and space telescope,that would be great. We can use spaceship, seeing the planet with hubble space ,,,that's would be great. Also they can make new simulation,,earth and satellite (or telescope)....... modding also will be great,,,,,or creating our own planets,,,, using UBOX Planet generator...........More² reallistic surface,,,and black hole...
. And maybe we can also create our own mod,, like make deathstar and endor
 (The simulation I see in UBOX 1 but not see in UBOX²........) That's the idea....thnks