Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SpaceEngine+Universe Sandbox=Awesome!  (Read 6166 times)

gbrak30

SpaceEngine+Universe Sandbox=Awesome!
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
Its a stretch.  Can it be done? Vast exploration plus physics simulation.  Godly.  Thoughts?

Forgot to mention.  Obviously have an option to process physics for the system/object in-view.  Like a slider, how much of the universe will be processed simultaneously.  Crazy I know, but I like pushing boundaries.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:03:56 AM by gbrak30 »

Cryo

Re: SpaceEngine+Universe Sandbox=Awesome!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »
interesting interesting

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 08:28:40 PM »
Its a stretch.  Can it be done? Vast exploration plus physics simulation.  Godly.  Thoughts?

Forgot to mention.  Obviously have an option to process physics for the system/object in-view.  Like a slider, how much of the universe will be processed simultaneously.  Crazy I know, but I like pushing boundaries.
Lol in space engine things pass through each other because there is no physics. This seems interesting

Plutonium

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »
I would prefer Outerra+US2 ))) imagine the collisions and all the alien climates on the scale and quality of outerra!!! And you can drive a vehicle on the surface!!

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »
A gigantic universe to explore with landable planets + gravity collisions and other physics = computer meltdown time

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:12 PM »
A gigantic universe to explore with landable planets + gravity collisions and other physics = computer meltdown time
plus an internet browser open to research = computer explosion time

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
plus an internet browser open to research = computer explosion time

plus quantum effects ingame = computer black hole time

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 06:42:41 PM »
I want a computer that can turn itself into a black hole where can I get one?

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:52:52 PM »

no where its a restriction by the evil government that no computer can be so powerful it turns into a black hole

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »

no where its a restriction by the evil government that no computer can be so powerful it turns into a black hole
That stinks

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:00:57 PM »

That stinks

that evil government
LET'S START A REVOLUTION!

Sound it off, this is the call!
Rise, in, revolu-tion!
It's our time to change it all,
Rise, in, revolu-tion!

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:18:16 PM »
lol lets join forces to make black hole computers

kallisti

• I'm trying.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 07:16:02 AM »
It's nice to fantasize about this, and the cool part is that tech is moving so fast that stuff like that (not to mention real-world simulators, etc) will inevitably surface at some point. For now, though, I continue to be excited at what the US staff provides us with (been using it since v1), and hope they will (at least with US2) not stray too far from the main objective, but commit to fully developing what promises to be the ultimate space physics lab software, the benchmark for all future attempts. (Edit: I say this knowing little about the software NASA & co uses, I'm sure it's advanced; I was referring to more layman-friendly approaches that can please scholar and dabblers alike.)

That said, I'm with you on the exciting prospect of future technology & processing power. :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:21:19 AM by kallisti »

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 11:58:13 AM »
It's nice to fantasize about this, and the cool part is that tech is moving so fast that stuff like that (not to mention real-world simulators, etc) will inevitably surface at some point. For now, though, I continue to be excited at what the US staff provides us with (been using it since v1), and hope they will (at least with US2) not stray too far from the main objective, but commit to fully developing what promises to be the ultimate space physics lab software, the benchmark for all future attempts. (Edit: I say this knowing little about the software NASA & co uses, I'm sure it's advanced; I was referring to more layman-friendly approaches that can please scholar and dabblers alike.)

That said, I'm with you on the exciting prospect of future technology & processing power. :)

Actually, I've seen it said that the main program NASA uses to calculate trajectories of their probes can only have the timestep go up to a few days a second before Mercury hightails it out of the solar system...With Universe Sandbox, you can set the timestep to a few years a second and everything's fine, not even laggy. Sooo...apparently US is actually more accurate than what NASA uses for their probes :-)

kallisti

• I'm trying.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »
Hehe, I suspect the NASA people would have a thing or two to say about the LEVEL of accuracy, but I'm more than comfortable with approximates. :)

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »
Hehe, I suspect the NASA people would have a thing or two to say about the LEVEL of accuracy, but I'm more than comfortable with approximates. :)

Weelll of course, they can afford to have their simulations run for a full month if need be, so...