atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: school
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 11:35:36 PM »
prepares? it makes you that

my life is so fulfilling right now

it's a state of constant procrastination and lack of enjoyment of anything i want to do

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:47:05 AM »
I didn't enjoy school but it did teach me a lot. Tbh I think people too often judge school from their feelings and based on the fact that they don't like it, like wishful thinking. You can find school stressful and that makes total sense and all, but it's a fact that school statistically helps people learn things and become more prepared to do all kinds of work, not that it necessarily does so in the best way possible... If school wasn't good for anything, and those who didn't go to school were truly better off, societies wouldn't bother spending so much money on them. Try considering why building schools and developing education in Africa is considered so high on the list of international development goals. It really isn't an institution that's just there to cause people stress and pain.

Cryo

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »
prepares? it makes you that

my life is so fulfilling right now

it's a state of constant procrastination and lack of enjoyment of anything i want to do
i'd hit you up for a rousing night of various alcoholic beverages,discussing the art of Procrastination in depth,but alas...(INSERT REASONS) im doing honors English and face flooring science of all things

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 06:10:48 PM »
ok this is now a dumping thread for bong's hw

1 none
2 finish paragraph
4 wing the test
6 study study study
8 do notes & shit

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 07:14:55 PM »
1. Finish balboa worksheet (eng 3)
2. Finish p. 61 & 62 for algebra
3. Finish vocab for us history
4. ;______; cri all day

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:27:43 PM »
read los cauces del neologismo and write the reading preparation to go along with it

take spanish exam tomorrow
take linguistics exam before friday

math before thursday

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 05:37:55 AM »
prepares us for everything except the stuff we need in life
School teaches you basic skills and how to think logically, it's not suppose to teach 8th graders how to do taxes, well, unless you do a problem about taxes in math class.

Stevodoran

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »
I had a great time in school, loved every bit of it, especially those last two years. Exams never bothered me because I always had a plan B if they dont go well and I dont get to college. But one thing school really does not prepare you for is college, but college prepares you for the rest of life.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '158278'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:15:38 AM by FiahOwl »

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 04:04:09 PM »
prepares us for everything except the stuff we need in life
School teaches you basic skills and how to think logically, it's not suppose to teach 8th graders how to do taxes, well, unless you do a problem about taxes in math class.
That's true

FiahOwl

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '158312'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:15:34 AM by FiahOwl »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
i had an assembly today and i missed world civ and there was going to be a test on friday and we were going to watch a movie like today but we missed it so idk if the test is going to be pushed back or if we're going to watch the movie today and take the test on monday and idk if i should study or just not study because i have homework idk even which other homework i have so this sucks yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee meanwhile everyone but me and this person sucks at codinggg

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »
* FiahOwl is apparently the only person here who for the most part enjoys school
yes you love doing 6 hours of chemistry homework every weekend

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
* FiahOwl is apparently the only person here who for the most part enjoys school
yes you love doing 6 hours of chemistry homework every weekend

and explain this

wHAT it's Thursday I thought it was Wednesday thank god

FiahOwl

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '158334'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:15:30 AM by FiahOwl »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 09:26:41 PM »
for the weekend

where you don't have school!

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 09:27:35 PM »
wait
you have a short day on wednesday so you should be excited for more school like you have on thursday

FiahOwl

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 09:42:56 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '158339'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:15:26 AM by FiahOwl »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »
1st i have a english teacher who is very persuasive, so much that people won't even share their study guides. then we also have my bio lab which wants me to compare 4 things in 1 hypothesis, and yeah :( 

FiahOwl

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 08:57:38 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '170860'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:11:52 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »
I know right that's how I felt when one day my screen went black for a while and I realized I had been sitting playing Blacraft since August 2015. Good thing there's still a few weeks until the exams, now I just need to figure out which courses they automatically randomly put me on

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
help i've been thinking about how absurd reality is and it started from reading an askreddit thread about dumb rules in schools and school is so arbitrary it's almost as if it's primed for making people think about this arbitrariness - but most people stop once they've thought about how arbitrary school is because nothing else is arbitrary

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 10:02:17 AM »
How is school arbitrary?

Cryo

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 07:30:08 PM »
I didn't enjoy school but it did teach me a lot. Tbh I think people too often judge school from their feelings and based on the fact that they don't like it, like wishful thinking. You can find school stressful and that makes total sense and all, but it's a fact that school statistically helps people learn things and become more prepared to do all kinds of work, not that it necessarily does so in the best way possible... If school wasn't good for anything, and those who didn't go to school were truly better off, societies wouldn't bother spending so much money on them. Try considering why building schools and developing education in Africa is considered so high on the list of international development goals. It really isn't an institution that's just there to cause people stress and pain.
For me. Its a means to an end. I'm indifferent to school. Now the pursuit of knowledge, that i have no quarrels with.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 10:01:24 PM »
How is school arbitrary?
While the process of gathering many children (who otherwise would not be doing useful work) to learn things is not in and of itself arbitrary, the excessive divisions created in school, especially during purported fun activities, is more than enough to bring about me saying that it is arbitrary.

For example, class. While it may have been a useful proxy for intelligence ability when school was a newer concept (especially across the entire society) it is no longer as useful, simply organizing people by age and expecting them all to have the same level of intelligence. Classes have become such an ingrained concept that there is basically no way they could no longer be part of school. It's who you are in the same room with for a much larger portion of the day than everyone else, and who you are often expected to have some form of camaraderie during designated "fun" activities created by the school staff.

Another example of arbitrariness is in the grading system. How does knowing less than 60% of the material on a test or quiz (for Americans) mean that you do not know the subject? Or for that matter, how does knowing 100% of the material on a test or quiz mean you know the subject? While I would agree that getting a 100% generally indicates knowing the subject well enough, there is nothing about only scoring a 60% (unless it is a test where many options can be guessed with a 1/4, 1/5, or 1/2 chance, which many tests are) that specifically indicates that you have obtained sufficient knowledge of the subject.