Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broken rotX?  (Read 10528 times)

Sanduleak

• sanduleak.org
    • The Cinderdar Observatory
Broken rotX?
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »

I'm having a real hard time trying to increase or decrease the rotX parameter with the mouse in the dynamic tab.
Am I missing something?  :P

Also it would be nice if US could remember the rotX value in XML saves  ;D

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Broken rotX?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 05:41:30 PM »
I can see why you're having a problem.

If it's already at zero, then you need to set it to anything else first (with the keyboard to something like '1') and then using the mouse should work as expected.

I'll be addressing some of the missing properties on save soon. Rotation is not currently saved as you point out.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
Also it would be nice if US could remember the rotX value in XML saves  ;D

I noticed that if you change the stuff for "Earth" as an object, it keeps that rotation. So I think, you can go to Appearance.xml and create a new object with... Wait... Then how does Earth have a preset rotation period, Dan?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
When you use the <Object> tag within <Body>, it sets that body with all the properties of the object. For Earth (and all of the planets) this includes the mass, density, radius, tilt, and rotation period.

Texture and color are stored in the Appearance.xml file.

All of those properties are stored in (Installed Folder)\data\LocalObjects.xml. You can edit this file, but your changes will be overwritten on the next update.

Sanduleak

• sanduleak.org
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »
I can see why you're having a problem.

If it's already at zero, then you need to set it to anything else first (with the keyboard to something like '1') and then using the mouse should work as expected.

I'll be addressing some of the missing properties on save soon. Rotation is not currently saved as you point out.

Thanks for the tip Dan, that would surely help: unfortunately I have a french keyboard, and I cannot type any figure in the simulator. '1' always appears as '&', even on the keypad. (And even with num lock properly set)... Weird  :'(

Also: is it possible to fill in negative numbers?

Chris
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:56:14 PM by Sanduleak »

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »
Thanks very interesting. Thanks for letting me know.

Someone with a German keyboard reported the y and the z keys as being swapped (or something similar).

So I suspect other international keyboards may also have problems. This is a problem I should try and fix.

What if you press shift as you type in the numbers? Does that work?

In some cases negative number will work. Gravity will work with a negative number, but giving something a negative mass doesn't (in 2.0.3). While it may not make sense in reality, it would make the planet act like it has a 'negative' charge and is at least interesting.

In the velocity text box, you can use the pop up menu to select 'Reverse' (which just multiplies the current value by -1).

Are there other default values for various text boxes that would be helpful?

Sanduleak

• sanduleak.org
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »
Even with the shift key, I end up with an '&'

Negative values would be useful to reverse the rot X of bodies, as it happens in our solar system sometimes.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 05:19:12 PM »
Sorry you're having this problem. I spent about an hour looking into solving the international keyboard issue, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a fix from the maker of the UI library I'm using.

In the meantime... You could type the values into notepad, copy them to the clipboard and then use Ctrl+V to paste copied values into the text boxes. This works for me when I set my keyboard to French to test the problem. Shift + 1 also results in a '&' for me too, so that seems like a good way of testing your experience.

Negative values do work in the rotation box already. And I've added "Reverse" to the popup for Rotation Period. That will be in 2.0.4.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:37:13 PM by Dan Dixon »

Sanduleak

• sanduleak.org
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »
Sorry you're having this problem. I spent about an hour looking into solving the international keyboard issue, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a fix from the maker of the UI library I'm using.

In the meantime... You could type the values into notepad, copy them to the clipboard and then use Ctrl+V to paste copied values into the text boxes. This works for me when I set my keyboard to French to test the problem. Shift + 1 also results in a '&' for me too, so that seems like a good way of testing your experience.

Thanks for your time in trying to reproduce this! Your copy/paste workaround works perfectly well on my keyboard  :D

Negative values do work in the rotation box already. And I've added "Reverse" to the popup for Rotation Period. That will be in 2.0.4.

Excellent

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
I've been talking with the creator of my UI library and he's got international support working now in his library (he lives in Germany as it turns out).

He's made some pretty major behind the scenes changes to his library so it will be at least a few weeks before it's integrated with Universe Sandbox, but I do hope to release a new version of Universe Sandbox with the revised UI library in the next 4-6 weeks.

Sanduleak

• sanduleak.org
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
I've been talking with the creator of my UI library and he's got international support working now in his library (he lives in Germany as it turns out).

He's made some pretty major behind the scenes changes to his library so it will be at least a few weeks before it's integrated with Universe Sandbox, but I do hope to release a new version of Universe Sandbox with the revised UI library in the next 4-6 weeks.

What can I say? Amazing!  ;D ;D ;D