Welcome, Guest

Poll

What features do you want to see worked on more?

Celestial Bodies (Planets, Stars, Teapots, e.t.c.)
4 (7.4%)
SPH (ex: accretion disk and Moon formation)
30 (55.6%)
UI/User Interface
3 (5.6%)
Better Physics/Simulation accuracy
17 (31.5%)
More Human Sized Objects (
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: October 23, 2015, 05:54:25 AM

Author Topic: What features do you think need the most work?  (Read 5612 times)

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
What features do you think need the most work?
« on: September 23, 2015, 05:54:25 AM »
Just a simple poll so the devs know what features people want more than others. I am in no way trying to tell the devs what to do and how to do it, they are on their on schedule! It's more of a discussion thread about future features if anything :)! Feel free to elaborate on your choice or add your own idea/thoughts on new features in the comments!

Craftmaster

Re: What features do you think need the most work?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
I have been wanting the SPH for a while! ;D
Both the moon formation and accretion disk!  ;D

Arian

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »
Clearly SPH and accuracy.
Crazy options are nice but what's their worth without realistic and accurate simulations?
I mean a growing or shrinking Alice in Wonderland is no unusual sight where realism doesn't apply.
SPH adds a great deal to accuracy and realism and requires a great deal of both as well, so one can't go without the other.
Also all the collisions as awesome as they look would finally serve a purpose.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:39:10 AM »
I voted for SPH and improved physics/accuracy/performance. SPH because collisions are going to become really, really awesome once its integrated with US2. And accuracy and performance, because who doesn't love more accuracy and performance?

All the points you listed will probably be addressed at some point. After all, we're just getting started with early access on Steam, there's a little bit more to go before it gets good. But what we do have right now is already amazing, so it can only get better from here. :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:09:14 PM by The Ventifact »

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »
"Better Physics/Simulation accuracy"
What exactly does this cover? The integration of the equations of motion allow you to set your own error tolerance, so I guess this means something else?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:20:43 AM by Greenleaf »

codefantastic

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:35:03 AM »
What exactly does this cover? The integration of the equations of motion allow you to set your own error tolerance, so I guess this means something else?
"Better Physics/Simulation accuracy
What exactly does this cover? The integration of the equations of motion allow you to set your own error tolerance, so I guess this means something else?"

Idk, That's just what I've heard around the forums :/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:27:21 AM by Greenleaf »

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »

I'll take a crack at what it may mean. Well, since you guys over at GA are always trying to figuring out ways to improve the game, to make it better, one way of doing that is tweaking what you already have in place. I guess you can't really get any more accurate then what you have now, so perhaps that's why the question seems superfluous to you. Math can only get so right. Once you have your answer, that's it.

Now, I do think what is hard is keeping that performance and accuracy there when you update the game. I bet its hard to know the unknowns because you're not sure if a new update will break or fix an aspect of the game. I also assume that "Better Physics/Simulation accuracy" could mean further improving speed and performance. When you guys updated to Alpha 16, the speed, fluidity, and performance of US2 seemed to improve dramatically compared to previous updates.

And I've also heard that you guys are working on getting the game to run off the GPU. That sound awesome because it should make performance skyrocket on capable hardware. My GTX 980 eagerly awaits that day. :D

gbrak30

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
i personally would like to see simultaneous multi-device support, for instance i have an i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz and two GTX 580's that can be used to process calculations.  Also maybe assign devices to certain functions, like CPU can process particles, one 580 can process large bodies, the other 580 can do small bodies, etc.  I feel like my PC is not being fully utilized.

Arian

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
I think that actually means the same as SPH. It's the wish for more realism as in being able to simulate complex processes mirroring reality as detailed as possible with current hardware.
Accuracy doesn't mean "less(er) errors" here but closer to the real universe, including aspects of models beyond newtonian physics to correct/adjust things that are known to be "unrealistic". It should be possible to add fudges to compensate known flaws of Newton's model, without migrating to a relativistic model completely.

codefantastic

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »
I thought more people would want more human sized objects :/

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »
I thought more people would want more human sized objects :/

I'm sure that will come too. In fact, it's probably more likely that we'll see more human-sized objects added first before anything like SPH or more complicated physics comes along.

As for me, I really don't care which ones DO come first, because all aspects of US2 are awesome and fun to experiment with.

Plutonium

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 02:38:12 AM »
I would vote for Climate if there was an option! I feel that climate has been forgotten for a while.

Only2ndplace

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »
I voted for UI, not because it's bad, but because people often forget how small and easy changes there can bring a lot of fun too, without having to implement complicated features that add more, but take longer.

Only2ndplace

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »

I think this is not so much about the gravity simulation, but more about small details, like Pluto nor containing any water/ice or the sun not turning into a red giant.

codefantastic

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 06:04:10 AM »
omg.. I just had the perfect idea...
THE RULER TOOL
It would measure the distance between objects with a simple click and drag!

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 07:24:19 AM »
SPH should be worked on the most, it has the potential to make US2 almost 100% realistic.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 10:31:34 PM »
Materials and densities need worked on a lot IMO. Adding a tiny bit of hydrogen to a planet bloats its radius enormously, when in real life it would only increase by maybe 5% for a 1% composition of hydrogen. The whole transition between rocky planets and gas giants is very messy in real life, so having any hydrogen on a planet shouldn't turn it instantly into a gas giant.