Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Jack's Idea box  (Read 6683 times)

captjack92a

Jack's Idea box
« on: September 14, 2015, 02:34:20 AM »
Hi, everyone. I was completely content with Universe Sandbox as it was, but then people started chiming in on space ship simulations, travel, and so forth. So, of course... I let my mind run wild and decided to toss this thread up and shall leave it up for consideration, criticism, and so forth.

Two ideas in this one.

One [On the left] being a gravity well/tractor beam. This is for creating networks of planets and celestial bodies which can be "netted" together into an over all shape through careful placing and planning to catch one another in certain locations and so forth. Another use being for holding other kinds of items such as ships and what not. Honestly, I don't know. I'm playing with the image, what it becomes is whatever.

Idea two [On the right] is a warp system. This'll basically just be a kind of system of items that can be linked from one to another to create a line, or a loop, where artificial bodies can travel through a bezier curve of energy, like a space stream.

More ideas to come. Probably some that might actually make sense, I don't know! We'll just see what all happens!

Gordon Freeman

Re: Jack's Idea box
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »
These... are actually pretty cool...

captjack92a

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »
I figured that IF the idea of being able to mess with a small simulation space ship, satellites, and other artificial terrestrial bodies, why not have some fun bells and whistles to play with when in that state.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 07:41:02 PM »
This seems rather entertaining. Is Ubox planning on having a spacecraft mode where you're the spacecraft?

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:33:32 AM »
This seems rather entertaining. Is Ubox planning on having a spacecraft mode where you're the spacecraft?
US2 Isn't supposed to be like Space Engine, it's suppose to be a physics simulator so probably not. (unless they add workshops and mods)

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
So two games can't have a feature which is similar? No other voxel-games can exist but Minecraft? No other space simulator can have a spacecraft mode with movement like that? No other MMOrpg can exist which isn't shamelessly copying World of Warcraft?

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:21:33 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '156559'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:17:32 AM by FiahOwl »

captjack92a

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 07:39:20 PM »
So two games can't have a feature which is similar? No other voxel-games can exist but Minecraft? No other space simulator can have a spacecraft mode with movement like that? No other MMOrpg can exist which isn't shamelessly copying World of Warcraft?

Let's not get excited with one another, now. This is just an idea box, whether anything here is added in the game  or if workshop is added, it's just a place I'll be putting in a few ideas I personally find fun. It'd be awesome if things like them were indeed added. I doubt they even would until way later as I am sure they have plenty of other items on the to do list before they get to bells and whistles like these.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
I listened to a podcast from Dan a week or two ago where he said that he wanted to implement spaceships into Us1, I think. I might be wrong.

True. My original plan was to add spaceships after I launched US1 on Steam. But then it made sense to just start over instead of moving forward in an outdated engine and code base. And work on spaceships has been forever delayed...

The next big feature that we've been experimenting with in Universe Sandbox ² is tethers... while still unproven, has some really exciting potential for allowing the user to create mega space structures.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:27:31 PM by Dan Dixon »

captjack92a

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 08:51:30 PM »
So kinda like the one on the left? Noice.

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
Perhaps... so your suggesting was some kind of force that would allow the user to create a linked ring of bodies, for example?

captjack92a

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »
Basically I didn't detail it on purpose, because I like to leave things open for interpretation. Especially since my game design experience' highest reach is dabbling with a few engines here and there. I'm a lore designer, not a programmer. Which is why I am using US2 as a means to create a full galactic map which consists of systems in a lore I am designing now. But I digress.

Basically, it would be a force generated by an array of devices either in orbit, planet side/surface planted [which would add the dynamic of altering planetary circulation/spin cycles], or something of a combination of both. These fields would link from one device to another, locking whatever they are on/around to one another. Like using a rope to hold two boats together as they swirl around a giant whirlpool. At least, that's the interpretation I'm going with at the moment.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 04:58:56 AM »
The next big feature that we've been experimenting with in Universe Sandbox ² is tethers... while still unproven, has some really exciting potential for allowing the user to create mega space structures.

That is odd. I mean, I'd never guess you'd want to implement tethers. What kind of structures are you referring to?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 03:13:07 PM »
Space elevators, Halo rings, Dyson spheres, to name a few...

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
Space elevators, Halo rings, Dyson spheres, to name a few...
Are dyson spheres a bunch of trees on an asteroid?

You should check out the game "eufloria"

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 03:32:30 PM »
No, Dyson Spheres are large structures surrounding entire stars to
1. Harness Maximum Solar Energy
2. More Living Space

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 07:52:15 AM »
No, Dyson Spheres are large structures surrounding entire stars to
1. Harness Maximum Solar Energy
2. More Living Space
Ah, I see. I just got the definition from Carl Sagan's book Comet. I guess that source is outdated. My bad

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 06:32:12 AM »
You're probably thinking of the wrong thing. Dyson Spheres have been an idea since 1958, I think.

Dyson Spheres are actually really hard to build and extremely sensitive to movement, so I'd recommend doing "Dyson Swarms" instead, which are just masses of energy-gathering stations orbiting in a spherical configuration around a star instead of a huge solid structure. star.

Arian

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 02:53:27 AM »
Dyson Spheres are actually really hard to build and extremely sensitive to movement, so I'd recommend doing "Dyson Swarms" instead, which are just masses of energy-gathering stations orbiting in a spherical configuration around a star instead of a huge solid structure. star.
Which would be a completely different thing again  ;)
The actual point of a Dyson Sphere is to have the most efficient use (without the need of energy transformations and transfer) of the habitable zone of a star by adding as many habitats to that zone as possible.
The mechanically (nearly) impossible interpretation of that idea was a solid sphere around the star with the inner surface of the sphere being the ground to live on. There have even been models using artificial stars, which would allow smaller spheres of greater stability.
A more realistic model would be space stations with artificial atmosphere confined in some sort of transparent spheres (a force field maybe) and positioned in a spherical shape around the star. That would still leave the problem of generating those force fields as well as that of a lack of gravity. Also it might be hard to keep up the orbits of those again.

Plutonium

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
Will spaceships have destruction physics??