Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where/how do you get/make textures?  (Read 3777 times)

Physics_Hacker

Where/how do you get/make textures?
« on: September 12, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
In US2 there are some really cool planetary surfaces, where can we get the maps/textures, or what do you use to make them? I'd like to be able to use them in the old Universe Sandbox, and later possibly other things I haven't found/learned how to use now...Though if this info is something we're not supposed to know, I understand that too. :)

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
Re: Where/how do you get/make textures?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »
These aren't really just textures, they're more of height maps with textures.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
I know, but most programs use them separately, and combine them together to render what you see in-program, but because the old Universe sandbox didn't do this, all I need are the texture maps.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:14:40 PM »
...Still haven't gotten an answer...

Krypton

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »
As I understand it, US2 uses procedural textures which are dynamic images that change according to the planets' composition, distance from the sun, size, etc.  Those aren't still pictures you're seeing.  They're not static images that are wrapped around the spherical meshes which is what US1 did.  In US1 you could put texture pictures in the textures folder and tell US1 which image to use on a planet.  But they weren't "alive" as they are in US2.  There were no dynamic clouds, no advancing ice, no molten impact craters, no ocean basins that refill over time as there are in US2.
So those cool textures you see in US2...you can't "get" them.  They don't exist in a static image/form anywhere and thus you can't apply them in US1.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:43:52 PM »
Well there has to be a base texture and height map (since most of those effects you just mentioned come from height maps and simple recoloring) For it to work properly, and to get the same planet texture twice or more (which has happened many times to me) If it was completely procedural, then you'd never get the same texture twice. Also, if there's no other way then there should at least be a way to export the textures.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »
We haven't yet added a way to import your own textures or export the existing ones... this is on our long list of things to do.