Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Loading a save causes nova  (Read 4280 times)

linktydraad

Loading a save causes nova
« on: September 05, 2015, 06:13:08 AM »
Hello. I turned off the realistic setting on my star, made it how I wanted it, then saved the simulation after I did what I wanted to my star system. when I reloaded it, my star instantly exploded and I checked it and the "realistic" option was active. This is unbelievable that a setting that you save "off" would turn "on" when you load the save. That is the whole point of saving certain setting so that they will still be there when you load the file. I hope this is just a bug that will be fix in a update that should come soon and not a game feature meant to stay.

Arian

Re: Loading a save causes nova
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
Loading a simulation, stars will always start out in realistic mode, so if you modified any properties making the star "unrealistic", it will start out as what would have become of it in realistic mode unfortunately.
This even happens with some stars from the original "add" list without changing anything and if you save them in realistic mode.
It is likely a bug caused by not all data being saved and some of the properties being calculated rather than restored.
In
http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,15461.0.html
I explained some observations I made about it and I really hope it gets some work soon, because even if I can restore the properties manually, it tends to mess up simulations. It would be much easier if we had a "Replace" button to simply replace an object.

linktydraad

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
Do you think they're going to do anything to fix it?

Arian

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »
Do you think they're going to do anything to fix it?
I do not only think they will, I am pretty certain, it's gonna happen.
This whole thing is a very eager project not just any old startup business straw fire.
Stick to it and report bugs you find because with that you help to improve it. However, be patient, because priorities on the dev's side may not match yours at all times. Use the time you wait for your issue to be worked on to collect and provide more details about it and/or try out different simulation projects in US². The universe is "infinite" and so are the possibilities.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »
This is all one related issue with the Star saving, we're hoping to have a fix ready for the next update. If you find any more cases like this, just let us know.

Thanks

linktydraad

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 11:33:10 PM »
Thank you C7 and Arian. I really appreciate. It's so disheartening to work for hours on a star system, to save it, load it, and have your sun go BOOM XD

Arian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »
Thank you C7 and Arian. I really appreciate. It's so disheartening to work for hours on a star system, to save it, load it, and have your sun go BOOM XD
I feel you there. I just had a stable, habitable binary planet system ready, which only works in very large orbits and needs a giant luminous star and was going to do a long term stability test with adjusted parameters after a failed run.
I recommend writing down the properties of the objects in your simulation, so you can restore anything that changed.
If the properties of your star are not crucial to your simulation setup, sticking to yellowish main sequence stars (below 1.3 sun masses) could help.

linktydraad

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »
The properties kind of are important hahaha. I liked having a super big, bright and hot star.

Arian

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »
The properties kind of are important hahaha. I liked having a super big, bright and hot star.
pretty much the same for me, but for the reason of getting my binary planets orbiting each other and the star in a way that keeps them relatively close together (so you can see the continents on the other planet from the surface of each of them as well as watching their moons, but without making the tidal forces an issue. For that I need some huge orbits but the planets still need enough visible light and warmth from their star if I don't want to add a second star to the sim. UY Scuti is just perfect for that.

linktydraad

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 11:41:52 AM »
pretty much the same for me, but for the reason of getting my binary planets orbiting each other and the star in a way that keeps them relatively close together (so you can see the continents on the other planet from the surface of each of them as well as watching their moons, but without making the tidal forces an issue. For that I need some huge orbits but the planets still need enough visible light and warmth from their star if I don't want to add a second star to the sim. UY Scuti is just perfect for that.

Hahah, that sound cool Arian.

Arian

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 03:22:03 AM »
and apparently the whole star issue was fixed. So I am looking forward to a weeklong test run.

I expect moons to either leave their hosts or to crash into them, but more important I expect the binary planets to either pull each other into ever increasing orbits or one of them going it's own way at some point. But maybe they maintain their orbits which would be really cool.