Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A question about trails  (Read 3305 times)

The_Zexdex

A question about trails
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
Hi,
I was wondering if there was a way for a moons trail to be encircling the planet, not the Sun
For Example, If I had a simulation where the earth is orbiting the sun, and the moon is orbiting the earth, how could i make the trail of the moon simulate the speed relative to the earth rather than the sun (the moon forming a trail going around the earth rater than the sun), I was just wondering as it gets confusing.

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
Re: A question about trails
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
Go to "View" and click Orbits instead of trails.

The_Zexdex

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
That worked thanks for the reply!

EDIT

The moon still represents the orbit as it if was going around the sun, not the earth, is there any way to toggle this?

codefantastic

• I hope these asteroids don't cause trouble
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »
Mmm, are you sure the Moon is close enough to the planet to be help by it's gravity? Is the planet too close to the star?

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
Meh, I had that problem with orbits, but it was a quadruple star system and I was trying two near-equally sized gas giants orbit the barycenter of all of this XD

Evil_Tom

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 04:50:06 AM »
I believe you can also set the point to which the trails are centred on.

If you want to see the relative movement of a moon to the planet you can, without viewing orbits. This is done within an options menu. I believe it's the extra/advanced options within the view menu.

It's normally set to absolute position. I usually set it to the largest object (usually in a single star system, the parent star).