Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Better Object Collisions  (Read 3898 times)

Denco

Better Object Collisions
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:33:24 AM »
I just bought Universe Sandbox 2 and I think its great.

But I am hoping we will see better planet collision that they currently. What I'm hoping for is some sort of procedural destruction on objects so that they don't move into each other when colliding ( if that makes sense ) and would also prevent the next problem.

As you see after the collision both moons still looked the same even though they were both half into each other.

Are the developers still improving collisions and is my wish something that can/will be done in the future?

Magnetarhyper4436

• 'HYPER'NOVAE!!!
Re: Better Object Collisions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:41:37 AM »
Its a work in progress. Also black holes are just essentially objects in the grey area where collisions can echo through the interior; although this shouldn't happen, but it looks amazing.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:05:51 AM »
I think what you're asking will become reality at some point. The developers are working on something called "SPH." It's short for Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics. If anything, this tech they're working on integrating into US2 will make collisions, planets, moons, and stars form at a much higher level complexity than it does now.

Here's a video on particles forming a planet core, it looks really interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q0HUJlSRoM

However, I've heard the devs say that this tech is quite complicated, so it will most likely be a while before we see early integration into Universe Sandbox.

Denco

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
I cant wait then. This software is the best thing ever :)

scruffygamer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
Its a work in progress. Also black holes are just essentially objects in the grey area where collisions can echo through the interior; although this shouldn't happen, but it looks amazing.
amazing icon you got there

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »
SPH is still something that will take a lot of time to get right... but we're going to continue to iterate on the current collisions system too.