Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] - Loading a save glitch.  (Read 3627 times)

scruffygamer

[BUG] - Loading a save glitch.
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:39:08 PM »
Okay. I created my own solar system. Saved it, messed around with it, then I reopened it.

I realized the temperatures for some of my planets turn to absolute zero (-273 C)  ???

But they do kick back up after a little while in the simulation. But I would like to report this bug.

ahoop

Re: [BUG] - Loading a save glitch.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 09:05:16 PM »
Happens to me also. I'm not bothered by it, as long as I remember what the stable temperature was

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:20:04 AM »
What planets is this happening on, and how can I recreate the issue?

Arian

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 12:02:45 AM »
Happens to all planets in saved simulations. They get loaded with surface temperature set to absolute zero and effective temperature to -200°C.
Moons orbiting a planet seem to keep their temperatures.
Planets with a climate system (Earth copies) seem to get the climate disabled but start with -171°C surface temperature (need more testing to confirm).

scruffygamer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
What planets is this happening on, and how can I recreate the issue?
Exactly what Arian said.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
Sometimes it's the small details that matter, the more specific and minimal a reproduction case, the better.

As an example " I placed down the sun, and put the earth in orbit at 1 au. When I saved, and loaded the simulation Earth is now at -171"

Just to be clear, is there a star in the saved files? We're trying to narrow down these cases where the saving and loading isn't working as intended.

Arian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »
You are right C7, we actually didn't mention the star in our sims.
I forgot to mention it because I only care for planet/moon temperatures when there is a star in my sim but I realize that tidal heating could be a heat source as well.
I have to add that the absolute zero phenomenon as well as the absolute zero +100° phenomenon can be observed even if the saved sim is loaded in paused state, so it is not the result of evolution.
So far my above statement seems true for all my saved simulations of planets orbiting a star. Whether I had only stars that change on loading a saved sim or not, I am not quite sure actually, so I'm gonna do some more tests.
However, wouldn't it be easier to just save the current temperature of any object in the saved simulation?

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »
Well, we do save the temperature, so something in the simulation is overwriting the saved value. Trying to figure out what's going on there exactly. Typically the planet comes in at the ambient temperature, based on the nearby star, unless there's an override temperature (for planets like Earth).

Should be enough data to track it down now though, I'll let you know when we have a fix for it.

Arian

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »
Doing a quick test with Arcturus orbited by Kepler-69c in exactly 55 years, on loading Kepler-69c started the paused sim at
Surface temp: -273°C
Effective temp: 65.6°C

It seems clear at first glance that that happened because on loading the saved sim Arcturus started with
1.08 sun masses but the radius shrunk to
693,582 km (saved with 17,874,350 km) while the density is still
0.0898 kg/cm³ and the rest of the parameters stay unchanged as well.
Something's not right here. The density doesn't match the M/V calculation.
On a side note, the camera starts to move away from the star as soon as I unpause the loaded sim.

If I do a sim with Kepler-69c orbiting the Sun at exactly 1AU (in exactly 1 year) the paused sim loads with Kepler-69c at
Surface temp: -273°C
Effective temp: 2.18°C

The Sun doesn't change at all though and the camera stays where it is. Unpausing causes Kepler-69c to get warm again.

Adding The Moon to Kepler-69c in the Sun sim, will load with Sun and Kepler-69c just like before but The Moon loads with exactly the temperature it had when the sim was saved
 (surface temp as well as effective temp).