Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Idea: Ejecta-Cloud  (Read 3098 times)

Thunder Ice

Idea: Ejecta-Cloud
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
So far, impacts from asteroids, big or small, give us ejecta that rains back down onto the Earth as little asteroids.

But what I think would be really cool to see is an Ejecta-Cloud.

An Ejecta cloud is the debris built up into a massive "storm" cloud that spreads from the impact-zone across the planet, scorching and incinerating anything in its wake. Think of the ash cloud of a volcanic eruption.

Here is an example of an Ejecta-Cloud:

https://youtu.be/f_Gc3C2ZkC4?t=23m26s

The view from space is sped-up by several hours. If the simulation is done in real time, the cloud will be moving very slowly to the point where it would only be seen as moving from ground-level.

I personally think the addition of an Ejecta-Cloud would be a really interesting feature to add when it comes to asteroid impacts to really show the effect of an asteroid's impact, how it hits, and specifically, where.

Of course, if one were to be added in the next update or two, I'm not saying it should look super spiffy and really well done, but enough to show that it's a cloud and really gives off an impact [pun somewhat intended].

And since/if cities, forests, towns, and more will be added in the far future, it'd be amazing to go down to "street-level" and watch the Ejecta-Cloud appear on the horizon.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:57:21 PM by Thunder Ice »

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
Re: Idea: Ejecta-Cloud
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »
I think this sort of already exists...  :-\

Thunder Ice

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
I think this sort of already exists...  :-\

Not necessarily. What you see as of now in the current build is the shockwave, but depending on the size of the object you're using to impact the planet, the shockwave will only affect a small area or only half the Earth.

An asteroid impact more powerful than Tsar Bomba would likely be heard around the Earth, with people on the opposite side of the planet feeling minimal effects, whereas people closer to the impact would be affected greatly.

An initial impact would send ejecta debris into the atmosphere, raining back down onto the planet as small rocks, some that would burn up into the atmosphere. An Ejecta-Cloud would be the basic plume from the point of impact that would engulf the surface in smoke and fire.

Plutonium

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »
Another overdramatized movie about KT impact. I tried to simulate this particular event in US2 it barely made a dent on a planetary scale.
But I agree that the ejecta clouds are nesecery. Especially for climate simulations as they can affect the opasity of the atmosphere.

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 09:04:42 AM »
Another overdramatized movie about KT impact. I tried to simulate this particular event in US2 it barely made a dent on a planetary scale.
But I agree that the ejecta clouds are nesecery. Especially for climate simulations as they can affect the opasity of the atmosphere.
After an asteroid hits they can add gray ash clouds and make the rest of the atmosphere reddish.