Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can't add water to Mercury  (Read 4639 times)

Dorozhand

Can't add water to Mercury
« on: July 16, 2015, 05:21:15 PM »
I'm in the solar system simulation in the latest update to the game and I'm trying to terraform Mercury. I was able to get the temperature cooled to the right range but I can't seem to add any water. When I try to move the bar it just instantly snaps back. Is there a reason for this?

Dorozhand

Re: Can't add water to Mercury
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »
I figured out I can add it while paused, but when I unpause, it snaps back and disappears in less than a second.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
It's quite possible that water couldn't exist on the surface of mercury. I'll test here and see if things are working as they should, or we have a bug in the loss rates. (They were recently changed to be more accurate, and that's still a work in progress)

Dorozhand

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 05:58:31 PM »
I did manage to get atmospheric pressure and temperature to the right range.
Even if it were in too high a range, wouldn't it show up as "gas/plasma" instead of snapping back to 0%?

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »
If it becomes gas / plasma, it can escape to space, and at that point, it doesn't come back. What sort of time scale were you running at?

Dorozhand

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
If it becomes gas / plasma, it can escape to space, and at that point, it doesn't come back. What sort of time scale were you running at?

Time step of 12 days per second. I'm absolutely sure I got the temperature and pressure right and while I was paused mercury's surface became covered with liquid water seas, but they seemed to snap away upon unpausing as if the program was rejecting the command. Even at 12 days per second, an atmosphere won't strip away that quickly, and it didn't. The clouds remained, the pressure and temp didn't change. Just no water allowed it seems.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »
Seems there was an issue with the database information for Mercury, and the magnetic field is 1/1000th of what it should be.

The fix will go into the next revision with a database rebuild. (Probably Alpha 16)