Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problem Getting Universe Sandbox to open...  (Read 9099 times)

chalwa3

Problem Getting Universe Sandbox to open...
« on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
Hello,
We recently purchased the Universe Sandbox2 Pro ($24.99). After going through the extensive sign up process (which could use some streamlining) we were discouraged to find the application window would just collapse and appear again over and over when we tried to start the game.
It now will not let us sign in and has left my son very unhappy.
We are using a MacBook. After the sign in window (which asks for online/offline) the start window does not appear.  We can get to a start window by using 'Big Picture Mode',  which sends us into an endless loop of collapse and appear.  In other words, when we hit the start button, the window suddenly collapses and then jumps back up unchanged.  When start is pressed again, the same thing happens.
The application seems to be downloaded properly.  I am afraid to delete and reinstall as the original process was so complicated, I feel we would just lose it all.  We went through the website 'Steam' as our original starting point.
Can anyone help?
Thanks ahead of time from a frustrated father!  :)

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: Problem Getting Universe Sandbox to open...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »
Sorry for the frustration and for the confusing setup process. Once you have Steam and Universe Sandbox ² installed, it's very easy to start playing and it will automatically update.

First: Steam is a 3rd party application which we use for distribution and updates of Universe Sandbox ². Players use Steam for many different games, not just ours. So you will need to add Universe Sandbox ² to your Steam Library.

You should have received an email with a link to your key page. Go to that page, then click the Steam button at the top to generate your Steam code.

Open the Steam application and log in. Click the "+ ADD A GAME…" button in the bottom left-hand corner. Select "Activate a Product on Steam..." When it asks for a Product Code, enter the Steam code from your key page. You will then see the game in your library and you can click Install. Once it's downloaded, just click Play.

For detailed step-by-step instructions with pictures, check out Humble Bundle's support page: https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/204008710-Updated-Steam-Key-Redemption

It can be a bit complicated, but if you follow the directions you'll be up and running soon.

Let me know if you're still having issues.

chalwa3

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:50:34 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for your tips. I probably should have mentioned that I had already gone through this portion of the installation process.  The problem begins when (after having downloaded and installed) we press the 'play' button.
A small window appears that says, "Preparing to launch Universe Sandbox2".  The box then simply fades away and nothing happens.  We are left with the original window with the 'play' button still up.  Every time we re-hit the play button, the same thing happens.
I have attached two screenshots to better give you a sense of where we are at.
We are running a MacBook with OSX 10.6.8
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
regards
Chris/chalwa66

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »
Ah, okay. Sorry for misunderstanding.

If you aren't even seeing the Universe Sandbox ² loading screen, then something is preventing it from launching.

First, please try verifying all files were correctly downloaded:
- Right click on the game title in your Steam Library
- Select Properties
- Select the Local Files tab
- Click “Verify Integrity of Game Cache”

If that doesn't work...
- Navigate to the Local Files tab again and click “Delete Local Game Content”
- This will completely remove the installation of the game
- Once the process is complete, right-click on Universe Sandbox ² in your Steam Library and select “Install Game…”

It's also possible anti-virus software is interfering. Please try to temporarily shut down or disable your anti-virus software. If your anti-virus has a “Game-Mode,” try enabling that before you launch Universe Sandbox ².

Here's a Steam support page with more information: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568

Let me know if it's still not working. Sorry for the trouble.

chalwa3

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »
Hello again,
Thanks for your time and patience in this matter.
I tried all your suggestions, including the ones on the link you provided but to no avail.  I have no anti-virus software running and it says the game is installed properly. 
I thought perhaps my adblock software was the culprit but after clearing the US2 domain, it still will not work.  It is behaving exactly as I mentioned before.
Sorry to be a bother.  Do you have any other suggestions?  My 12 year old is very excited about this and I really hate to disappoint him.
Thanks again,
Chris

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »
Hm, let's see if we can get any information from your log file.

Typically located here:
~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Open Finder then in the menu bar click Go -> Go to Folder. Enter "~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log".

Please attach the file here and we can take a look.

chalwa3

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 01:37:46 AM »
Sorry for the delay.
I tried looking where you said, but it is not there.  When I search 'unity' on my mac I only get 'unity web player.plugin' and 'webplayer-mini.dmg'
It's never fully loaded, it that explains anything.
I have a feeling this isn't going to work out.
How can I get a refund?

chalwa3

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 07:41:10 PM »
Seriously, how do I go about getting refunded for this?
Thanks.
Chris

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 11:00:43 AM »
I just sent you a direct message about your refund, Chris. Sorry for the trouble.