Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Alpha 15.2 | The Pluto Encounter Update | Now Available - July 9, 2015  (Read 20324 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
If you already own Universe Sandbox ², just run Steam to update to the latest version.

Or you can buy Universe Sandbox ² here:
http://universesandbox.com/buy/

What's new?
Alpha 15 is the biggest update yet for Universe Sandbox ². We redesigned the user interface for a cleaner, more intuitive experience, rewrote physics for better performance, and introduced a dynamic soundtrack. There are also magnetic fields, light pulses, fireworks, custom keybindings, and a ton of smaller improvements, changes, and bug fixes.

In Alpha 15.1 we updated the look of Ceres based on the latest photos from NASA, added a random asteroid feature, new moons of Pluto, pulsar jets, and improved the look of brown dwarfs. We also re-introduced the ability to customize launch bodies. Hover over bodies in the Add panel then press a number key to assign the body to that launch slot. There are also a handful of other improvements and bug fixes.

In Alpha 15.2 we've added a simulation for New Horizons' Pluto flyby, including a model of the New Horizons spacecraft. We've also made it possible to draw trails relative to a body and made additional tweaks and fixes.

Complete List of Updates

Let us know what you think! And please report any problems either with the in game feedback tool or by starting a new thread...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:04:11 PM by Dan Dixon »

Gordon Freeman

Yes! Space Probes, finally! Also, that Relative Trails feature is sweet!

huppy4

• the Universe Sandbox2 alpha tester
    • the universe sandbox forum ( Chinese)
If you already own Universe Sandbox ², just run Steam to update to the latest version.

Or you can buy Universe Sandbox ² here:
http://universesandbox.com/buy/

What's new?
Alpha 15 is the biggest update yet for Universe Sandbox ². We redesigned the user interface for a cleaner, more intuitive experience, rewrote physics for better performance, and introduced a dynamic soundtrack. There are also magnetic fields, light pulses, fireworks, custom keybindings, and a ton of smaller improvements, changes, and bug fixes.

In Alpha 15.1 we updated the look of Ceres based on the latest photos from NASA, added a random asteroid feature, new moons of Pluto, pulsar jets, and improved the look of brown dwarfs. We also re-introduced the ability to customize launch bodies. Hover over bodies in the Add panel then press a number key to assign the body to that launch slot. There are also a handful of other improvements and bug fixes.

In Alpha 15.2 we've added a simulation for New Horizons' Pluto flyby, including a model of the New Horizons spacecraft. We've also made it possible to draw trails relative to a body and made additional tweaks and fixes.

Complete List of Updates

Let us know what you think! And please report any problems either with the in game feedback tool or by starting a new thread...
Yeah.Finally I saw it.Uh...Wait.Dan,Do you imitate the Sapce Engine?

Masterofworlds22

• I like eggs
I love the model for New Horizon  :)

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
Neat

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
How did you manage to get a full map of Pluto?

In the images I saw, Pluto had only a partial map of its surface from the LORRI and RALPH cameras attached to the spacecraft.

I am intrigued to know how you got a full map, did you take the northern hemisphere and copied it on the unmapped portion?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
How did you manage to get a full map of Pluto?

Artistic interpretation. :)  Nod to Chad.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:10:31 PM by Dan Dixon »

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '152633'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:24:44 AM by FiahOwl »

tepidbread

Can we expect alpha 16 to be a large update (like alpha 15) or will it be a smaller update? I understand completely if you are not ready to say...

albert453able

Nice model version of New Horizon. Are there going to be new stars, galaxies(Are they going to be fixed since they look like clouds with dots),and planets?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
Can we expect alpha 16 to be a large update (like alpha 15) or will it be a smaller update?

Much smaller... Conceptually no future update will be as large as 15 as we intend to release a new update every 30 days or so... the next couple updates are mainly going to be focusing on bug fixes and polish as we get ready for the Steam launch.

Gordon Freeman

What sort of bugs will A16 focus on? The Galaxy Fix is something people have been talking about for a while now...

I think it's awesome that you finally added UY Scuti to the star list.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:54:08 PM by Gordon Freeman »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
What sort of bugs will A16 focus on? The Galaxy Fix is something people have been talking about for a while now...

I think it's awesome that you finally added UY Scuti to the star list.

im still waiting for the galaxies

can anyone take an screenshot of New Horizons and Pluto for me to see?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:24:51 PM by gabriel.dac »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
Now that I think about it... there already is the Milky Way and Andromeda rendered. They are in the galaxy collision simulation. Why not use them even if temporarily?

Chaou

I have a few questions about the update and planned things.
Are point barycenters in the game yet? I can't seem to create them and I was wondering if they were going to be in Universe Sandbox 2.
Also, is the three-body problem calculated in the game currently? That should make it possible to calculate the orbital period of a planet in a circumbinary orbit.
Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:43:10 AM by Chaou »

JayPix2012

Just wondering if black holes would be able to eat planets and star like in real life when they get to close? Also Pluto looks cool by the way.

BlurryVortices

• There's an "I" in the middle of "Hurricane"
Re: Alpha 15.2 | The Pluto Encounter Update | Now Available - July 9, 2015
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 01:47:55 AM »
Relative trails was awesome. I can make a Geocentric Solar System..!