Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Universe Sandbox has been cracked  (Read 18972 times)

huppy4

• the Universe Sandbox2 alpha tester
    • the universe sandbox forum ( Chinese)
The Universe Sandbox has been cracked
« on: June 26, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »
I saw more and more website had the universe sandbox2 alpha15.And it maybe cracked by 3DM.
And now the download number is 8900+.Dan what do you that?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: The Universe Sandbox has been cracked
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »
This is going to happen. There's nothing we can reasonably do about it.

As of Alpha 15, Universe Sandbox ² will report when it's no longer the latest version... so all of these copies will report that once we release 15.1 later today.

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:20:09 PM »
This is going to happen. There's nothing we can reasonably do about it.

As of Alpha 15, Universe Sandbox ² will report when it's no longer the latest version... so all of these copies will report that once we release 15.1 later today.
Hey Dan, how come US2 is the only game that I know of that has this issue?
(I know that other games suffer from the same issues)
But other games like space engineers and medieval engineers, don't suffer from this issue, to my knowledge.
Can you like code something to prevent people from downloading the game for free?
And to code something that can prevent someone from downloading it with out paying for it?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:42:21 PM »
But other games like space engineers and medieval engineers, don't suffer from this issue, to my knowledge.
There exists pirated version of those games as well. Piracy is not unique to Universe Sandbox ².

huppy4

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »
There exists pirated version of those games as well. Piracy is not unique to Universe Sandbox ².
Hei,Dan ,you can make a free version with little functions like Universe Sandbox1,don't it?Then,Maybe the player can go buy your software after the use  he universe sandbox2.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
Its a sad, sad day when people resort to pirating. They're too busy being cheapskates to afford $24.99. I guess they have never heard of budgeting money. I don't understand what makes people feel inclined to steal. Maybe they do it out of pure spite?

They always pull the "its not stealing" card because since its not a physical item, it is not deemed "stealing." Full on BS right there!  >:( Don't they know that every time a copy of a game is pirated, the proprietary owns of said game are at a loss of money? Guess not.  :P

When a copy is stolen, money is lost on that copy, but they don't see that. When people don't pay for it, no money is made. Therefore, stealing... They think that because its digital, they have unlimited copies, so it doesn't matter, however, it does. Technically, there are "unlimited" copies, but that game you steal still has value because the hard working people behind the product are being PAID for their work, their skill, and time. Its the cost of production that makes the game have value.

It would be like if I wrote a book, I sell it in bookstores around the country. Every copy that is stolen from me, money lost, I can't make it back, and I can't make someone pay for it. And... well... it is also just flat-out stealing. Its the same whether you sell a physical book or a digital game. Money made is money made, and money lost is money lost, you either have or you don't.

Pirates piss me off so much! They've got to be the worst breed of gamers ever!

*breathes easy*

Cryo

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »
Its a sad, sad day when people resort to pirating. They're too busy being cheapskates to afford $24.99. I guess they have never heard of budgeting money. I don't understand what makes people feel inclined to steal. Maybe they do it out of pure spite?

They always pull the "its not stealing" card because since its not a physical item, it is not deemed "stealing." Full on BS right there!  >:( Don't they know that every time a copy of a game is pirated, the proprietary owns of said game are at a loss of money? Guess not.  :P

When a copy is stolen, money is lost on that copy, but they don't see that. When people don't pay for it, no money is made. Therefore, stealing... They think that because its digital, they have unlimited copies, so it doesn't matter, however, it does. Technically, there are "unlimited" copies, but that game you steal still has value because the hard working people behind the product are being PAID for their work, their skill, and time. Its the cost of production that makes the game have value.

It would be like if I wrote a book, I sell it in bookstores around the country. Every copy that is stolen from me, money lost, I can't make it back, and I can't make someone pay for it. And... well... it is also just flat-out stealing. Its the same whether you sell a physical book or a digital game. Money made is money made, and money lost is money lost, you either have or you don't.

*breathes easy*
A wise man of the name Dan Dixon did say in times past that some pirates do this out of a lack of funds although, that's not really enough to completely excuse stilling something  others have pored there heart and soul into....we live in a world of many shades a grey. On the other hand there are those that just don't simply want to pay..for selfish reasons...and others not so selfish...where was i going with this? I dunno there a many sides to this...

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »

*breathes easy*
A wise man of the name Dan Dixon did say in times past that some pirates do this out of a lack of funds although, that's not really enough to completely excuse stilling something  others have pored there heart and soul into....we live in a world of many shades a grey. On the other hand there are those that just don't simply want to pay..for selfish reasons...and others not so selfish...where was i going with this? I dunno there a many sides to this...

People have their intentions, for good or bad. We can't change how they think, but whether they like it or not, stealing is stealing. You could have the most extenuating circumstance in the world for taking it and it is still theft. Now, its another story if you were to ask the person for permission to have a copy and told them a sad story. If they let you have it, then that wouldn't be stealing. However, remember that the person still loses money even with permission to have it, because that item has value.

That was the point of my post. Its purely because money is lost on products that aren't paid for, not whether pirating is unethical. If you want me to be brutally honest though... in my opinion, it is unethical, because stealing is unethical... and well, illegal.

Cryo

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
True.Although i did say (it was brief) that its still amounts to stealing, like you said....that's the crummy reality we have to except...people will always find a loop hole good or bad...

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
Yeah, it seems that pirates are pretty bad.
Have you tried to implement a feature that disables a key feature to play the game when it is pirated like other games like halo have done?
I would give you a link to a few ways to stop pirates but it seems that I can't access my clip board will in this mode or something.

huppy4

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 04:48:47 PM »

*breathes easy*

People have their intentions, for good or bad. We can't change how they think, but whether they like it or not, stealing is stealing. You could have the most extenuating circumstance in the world for taking it and it is still theft. Now, its another story if you were to ask the person for permission to have a copy and told them a sad story. If they let you have it, then that wouldn't be stealing. However, remember that the person still loses money even with permission to have it, because that item has value.

That was the point of my post. Its purely because money is lost on products that aren't paid for, not whether pirating is unethical. If you want me to be brutally honest though... in my opinion, it is unethical, because stealing is unethical... and well, illegal.
True.I am hate softwares pirates .Because I pay for the software but them can use the free by crack!
The act of crack is make of copyright injured. >:( :(

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »
Pirates, pirates, pirates. Online thieves. If I could, any website I find that has downloadable copies of Universe Sandbox 2, I wish I could hack their servers and overload it. Actually, get anonymous to do it!

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 02:52:06 AM »
I just checked one of the better known pirate sites and Universe Sandbox² was there in six versions. The newest was a12, most much were older. In all the comments for the cracked versions you could see people complaining that it did not work. Crack missing or defect or the data files being corrupted.

In reality, getting a cracked version commonly means that you have to take the trouble to find a cracked version which is not a fake containing virus/trojan/nothing. Then you generally have the trouble of making it actually run properly. Finally you have a copy which is several versions behind the latest state.

How large a percentage of the people, going through all that, would actually have payed the full price if there was not a crack available? It seems to me that most people, with the money to use, would have saved themselves the trouble.

The crack users (software crack, that is  ??? ) are generally split into five types of people
-they are just slightly curious about what the product is and want to see, but would never pay for it anyway.
-they are really interested, but truly do not have the money, so they would not have payed anyway.
-they are interested, but want to try it out a bit before getting their own copy, after which they either buy it or would not have been happy customers anyway.
-they want the product, and can afford the price, but would rather go through hell and back getting a working crack, for an old version, than paying for it.

I dare say the last type is not in the majority, so let us just stop talking about them.

huppy4

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 04:56:18 AM »
I just checked one of the better known pirate sites and Universe Sandbox² was there in six versions. The newest was a12, most much were older. In all the comments for the cracked versions you could see people complaining that it did not work. Crack missing or defect or the data files being corrupted.

In reality, getting a cracked version commonly means that you have to take the trouble to find a cracked version which is not a fake containing virus/trojan/nothing. Then you generally have the trouble of making it actually run properly. Finally you have a copy which is several versions behind the latest state.

How large a percentage of the people, going through all that, would actually have payed the full price if there was not a crack available? It seems to me that most people, with the money to use, would have saved themselves the trouble.

The crack users (software crack, that is  ??? ) are generally split into five types of people
-they are just slightly curious about what the product is and want to see, but would never pay for it anyway.
-they are really interested, but truly do not have the money, so they would not have payed anyway.
-they are interested, but want to try it out a bit before getting their own copy, after which they either buy it or would not have been happy customers anyway.
-they want the product, and can afford the price, but would rather go through hell and back getting a working crack, for an old version, than paying for it.

I dare say the last type is not in the majority, so let us just stop talking about them.
If the Crack men cracked the newest version,you also stand by it?

raxo2222

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 05:58:03 AM »
Well Russians have alpha 15...

And I think having fan, that pirated game is better than not having fan at all.

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 06:08:58 AM »
We are well aware of all the piracy that is going on.

I'll close this thread now as there are more positive and exciting things to talk about.