Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Alpha 15 Now Available - June 19, 2015  (Read 32629 times)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Alpha 15 Now Available - June 19, 2015
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:40:57 PM »
If you already own Universe Sandbox ², just run Steam to update to the latest version.

Or you can buy Universe Sandbox ² here:
http://universesandbox.com/buy/

What's new?
This is the biggest update yet for Universe Sandbox ². We redesigned the user interface for a cleaner, more intuitive experience, rewrote physics for better performance, and introduced a dynamic soundtrack. There are also magnetic fields, light pulses, fireworks, custom keybindings, and a ton of smaller improvements, changes, and bug fixes.

Complete List of Updates

Let us know what you think! And please report any problems either with the in game feedback tool or by starting a new thread...

Prometech

• Official Photographer of the Universe at large
Re: Alpha 15 Now Available - June 19, 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
Well it looks and runs great
Amazing work for you all, *Applause*

However, you have capped the number of particles and their spawn rate is unchangeable, I have a 6 core computer capable of previously running 6000 particles at 50 FPS, and now I cant get 6000 particles.

Collisions look so amazing, and magnetic field? So so so so so so..... Cool

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »
However, you have capped the number of particles and their spawn rate is unchangeable

Increase "Max Non-Attracting Bodies" in the general settings.

Noda

• American Alpha Tester
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »
So how do we launch planets now? I dont see it in the powers anymore

Prometech

• Official Photographer of the Universe at large
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »
However, you have capped the number of particles and their spawn rate is unchangeable

Increase "Max Non-Attracting Bodies" in the general settings.

Where are general settings now?

Utopastoo

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 08:20:44 PM »
Woohoo!!!

Will check out ASAP.

newhalo123

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 09:28:47 PM »
When i start with -force-opengl I just get a black screen. I need to use Opengl so i can fix the graphical issues i have with the game. I posted a while back in the support forum about this problem, and -force-opengl fixed it. but now the game is just a black screen when i launch. I did try without -force-opengl and i still get the graphical issue.
Here is a link to that topic i made: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,14554.0.html

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 10:15:04 PM »
If you already own Universe Sandbox ², just run Steam to update to the latest version.

What's new?
This is the biggest update yet for Universe Sandbox ². We redesigned the user interface for a cleaner, more intuitive experience, rewrote physics for better performance, and introduced a dynamic soundtrack. There are also magnetic fields, light pulses, fireworks, custom keybindings, and a ton of smaller improvements, changes, and bug fixes.

Complete List of Updates

Let us know what you think! And please report any problems either with the in game feedback tool or by starting a new thread...

What's new?

Complete List of Updates

Awesome update guys!
The funny this is that this update came out on my birthday!  8)

Zeron

• I just bought universe sandbox 2 ( 9 17 14 )
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 10:49:37 PM »
Are there going to be updates on Aurora's and other things?

Actually The best simulator ever... thanks for the new update

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »
Yeah!! Time to see what its like. I was just playing some Solar 2 and I got a system with 5 stars on it.

WitheHole18

• Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 02:53:13 AM »
whoaa it's cool,and very big update(about 200 mb)

JAW1002

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 03:21:16 AM »
I love the music, the UI, the sounds and just the overall feel of the game. I have been following US since the first game's public release, safe to say I never imagined it being as great as it is now, though I had my hopes. The team has done a cracking job on the game! Gonna enjoy playing this!

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 04:13:51 AM »
I am totally AMAZED by this new update. In the past, I criticized the devs for working too much on the new UI. I even said it was a waste of time.

I owe you na apology. It was totally worth the wait!

Oh and this new update has SOUNDS! I've been asking for more sounds/music for a very long time. I am very happy. Great job, GA! I am now once again excited about this project

shadow6061be

• Belgian alpha tester
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 06:52:07 AM »
I am amazed by this update.
The incredible performance boost, letting me annihilate solar systems without any major fps drop, the sounds and music, the new GUI (which finally allows me to easily set a realtime simulation), the general improvement of everything, and...

I can finally launch the game without using any compatibility mode !  :D

Thank you, Giant Army, for providing us with such an amazing experience !

Cryo

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »
OMG god i didn't refresh the page and i was going to make more screenshots, then i here this divine music and im like what?! and then i see the update note xD i'll leave a full review after i spend a bit screwing around with it

dylan

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
how do you make pulsars

NewBieUniverse

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 09:23:52 AM »
Where can I get it for free? I really want it for free. I can't buy as a Steam, because my Mom or dad don't have money :(

Cryo

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »
Where can I get it for free? I really want it for free. I can't buy as a Steam, because my Mom or dad don't have money :(
Sorry, but it's not for free  :-\ you'd have to be one of the early alpha testers to get a copy of it for free (to help Giant army find bugs for its official release) other then that you'll have to buy it...

huppy4

• the Universe Sandbox2 alpha tester
    • the universe sandbox forum ( Chinese)
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
The UI is like windows8.1 or windows10.I like it very much.But is it the official version's UI?I think it also should to add more funcations and more new planets .Also,you can change the Unreal 4( Because it's free now)to your software.

huppy4

• the Universe Sandbox2 alpha tester
    • the universe sandbox forum ( Chinese)
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 05:27:41 PM »
And a question:What is the BGM name?

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »
woo nice! i can't wait to try this out tomorrow. all the UI update screenshots look really interesting

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 06:20:21 AM »
Love the ambient music and the new GUI is very good, nice job :)

kallisti

• I'm trying.
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 07:20:01 AM »
Haven't had the time to go through it all yet, but.. You guys weren't kidding when boasting about the performance boost (which really helps me a lot). The visual upgrade exceeded my expectations. The GUI changes are appropriate and intuitive, and a big step up. Based on a superficial run-through, the waiting time for this alpha (which has tested my patience) was well worth it. I can't wait to dive in deep and savour this one thoroughly. The list is long and impressive. This is just awesome.

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »
Pretty amazing if I do say so myself :D

Retsof

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 06:06:26 PM »
I see there are some settings for Roche Limits, but I'm not sure what realistic settings would be.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »
I see there are some settings for Roche Limits, but I'm not sure what realistic settings would be.

Hmm. That was not really supposed to be there in this version, since there are issues and the visuals are not tuned for this at all. Well, now that it is included, 1 is "realistic" and 0 is off.

What this essentially does is calculate the "Roche limit" for a body and its strongest attractor, and break the body when it is closer than that limit. Setting a value of two would make it break up twice as far away.
..but... the Roche limit is really meant as the closest distance from a planet, where a moon may form from coalescing particles. It can to some extent be taken as the distance where an already formed moon would break up (over time), due to differential gravity on near and far side, but it is not a magical distance where moons just blow up.... which is what you will see now.

To try it (which you shouldn't, since it is not supposed to be there for you to see!  :o  ) you can set "rocheSensitivity" to 1 and create the earth moon collision. The moon will fly in and then "pop" break up and impact as a mass of fragments. Then you can shoot moons (4) or other bodies near earth and see the same breakup. Grazing collisions become a bit more interesting this way. The hope is to solve many of the collision issues by breaking bodies apart during collisions as well.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:58:03 PM by Greenleaf »

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 02:27:27 AM »
Alpha 15 is great apart from the screenshot crashes iv'e been getting. I love the new GUI and the ambiance of the music fits in with the game quite nicely. Also are we getting around to fixing the galaxies yet GA?

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »

Hmm. That was not really supposed to be there in this version, since there are issues and the visuals are not tuned for this at all. Well, now that it is included, 1 is "realistic" and 0 is off.

What this essentially does is calculate the "Roche limit" for a body and its strongest attractor, and break the body when it is closer than that limit. Setting a value of two would make it break up twice as far away.
..but... the Roche limit is really meant as the closest distance from a planet, where a moon may form from coalescing particles. It can to some extent be taken as the distance where an already formed moon would break up (over time), due to differential gravity on near and far side, but it is not a magical distance where moons just blow up.... which is what you will see now.

To try it (which you shouldn't, since it is not supposed to be there for you to see!  :o  ) you can set "rocheSensitivity" to 1 and create the earth moon collision. The moon will fly in and then "pop" break up and impact as a mass of fragments. Then you can shoot moons (4) or other bodies near earth and see the same breakup. Grazing collisions become a bit more interesting this way. The hope is to solve many of the collision issues by breaking bodies apart during collisions as well.
Awesome!
But how many particles are there in the "mass of particles"?
Wait a minute?
Wasn't there something like the Roche limit in the the first US?
I saw a video about it a while ago.
So why not get that back and fiddle with it until you get it to the way you would like it?
But anyway, what will the mass of particles look like?

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 10:59:22 PM »
1 - But how many particles are there in the "mass of particles"?
2 - Wasn't there something like the Roche limit in the the first US?So why not get that back and fiddle with it until you get it to the way you would like it?
3 - But anyway, what will the mass of particles look like?

1 - it is an option. The rocheFragmentGrid is the resolution of a regular 3d grid into which the fragmented body is placed. When a cell has a center inside the spherical fragmenting body, it will create a fragment. Therefore, a value of 8 makes a grid of 512 cells, which gives about 256 fragments.

2 - Not to my knowledge, and if there was, I doubt it would make sense to try to take that over, since everything is different.

3 - Try it out

Angel Armageddon

• Destruction!
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 10:41:17 AM »
1 - But how many particles are there in the "mass of particles"?
2 - Wasn't there something like the Roche limit in the the first US?So why not get that back and fiddle with it until you get it to the way you would like it?
3 - But anyway, what will the mass of particles look like?

1 - it is an option. The rocheFragmentGrid is the resolution of a regular 3d grid into which the fragmented body is placed. When a cell has a center inside the spherical fragmenting body, it will create a fragment. Therefore, a value of 8 makes a grid of 512 cells, which gives about 256 fragments.

2 - Not to my knowledge, and if there was, I doubt it would make sense to try to take that over, since everything is different.

3 - Try it out
That's cools.
It was in a video about How to make an accretion disk in US.
He took a star and put it next to a black hole and done something to the star to make it turn into fragments or particles.
Then he let the particles spiral into the black hole, and the put the same star where the first star was.
It looked like an actual accretion disk.