Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Performance?  (Read 1991 times)

daltonv297

Performance?
« on: June 05, 2015, 05:34:40 PM »
First of all, I understand that there is a lot of stuff going on in some of the simulations.  It's quite incredible, actually.  The performance however - from someone who has no insight to the game's code - seems like it could be better.  I realize that this is in alpha.  I'm just wondering if someone knows the state of performance optimizations right now, and if there are plans to have it improved by the release.

For those wondering about my specs:

i7 4960X @ 4.4 GHz
64Gb 2133MHz RAM
3x SLI GTX 780 Ti

I get an average of 40 fps on the in-game stress test, and my CPU load never goes above above 20%.
Same with the GPU, not being completely utilized during intensive simulations.

I know it's in alpha.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
Re: Performance?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »

Alpha 15 is, for the physics part, all about performance. Has been the topic of various threads recently actually.

With a new build, I just made a test running Earth+5000 moons and it shows 97%-99% cpu utilization here.

The physics coming in alpha 15 is running only on cpu, in managed code, but it is faster than the previous combined opencl+cpu. This is essentially due to legacy design... how the data was being passed around.

In following releases, post alpha 15, native cpu and gpu computing will be enabled again, and this should be very much faster still.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 09:57:56 AM by Greenleaf »