Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Accretion Discs?  (Read 3890 times)

Jovitzer

Accretion Discs?
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:12:59 PM »
Has there been any talk of adding accretion discs to US2? I think this would be a fantastic feature if it can be done without making lag unbearable

EDIT:

Toyed around with some rings and here is the best I could do. Not quite an accretion disc but it somewhat appears like one. The black hole I used was 108 Msun, but I don't know if the game engine simulates the tides and whatnot near the horizon any differently than it would a stellar mass BH. Either way it looked cool.

If anyone else has suggestions of ideas post them please!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:57:28 PM by Jovitzer »

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
Re: Accretion Discs?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »
Yes, the plan is to add accretion disks.
While you can obviously make a ring of smaller bodies and watch those collide and grow, that is really a rather crude approximation of the dynamics in an accretion disk. That is why "real" accretion disks will either have to be a special mode or sph, so we can model effects such as viscosity.

SPH will come, though it has almost become a joke in the community. There are just other more pressing issues for now ;-)

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 06:32:51 AM »
Has there been any talk of adding accretion discs to US2? I think this would be a fantastic feature if it can be done without making lag unbearable

EDIT:

Toyed around with some rings and here is the best I could do. Not quite an accretion disc but it somewhat appears like one. The black hole I used was 108 Msun, but I don't know if the game engine simulates the tides and whatnot near the horizon any differently than it would a stellar mass BH. Either way it looked cool.

If anyone else has suggestions of ideas post them please!
Lol that looks like the black hole in Interstellar

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »
A fun way to make it look as if an object is absorbing a shattered object is by adding rings to a quickly moving object, then hitting Zero Velocity.

Jovitzer

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 02:45:07 PM »
Lol that looks like the black hole in Interstellar

exactly what I was going for haha! I figured with all the time and science that went into making Gagantua then it should be the gold standard for BH simulations.