Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's up with Alpha 15? + screenshot of the new UI  (Read 16300 times)

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Re: What's up with Alpha 15? + screenshot of the new UI
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '150100'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:31:03 AM by FiahOwl »

Prometech

• Official Photographer of the Universe at large
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 08:40:50 AM »
Since We bought into the Alpha, doesn't that make us Apha testers?

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »
No. A bunch of us probably aren't even on the forum, or have gotten bored as Gabriel said.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 04:32:35 PM »
I'm sorry that Alpha 15 is taking so long. Turns out making a universe simulator is hard.

We're in the middle of a physics rewrite that's taken longer that we had hoped and so the current state of the build is largely non-functional. But in the meantime we've been completely revamping the user interface and working on a number of other long term improvements.

We've also moved from SVN to GIT for our source control (the software that helps us manage the source code and work together). This will allow us to keep breaking changes out of the main branch and move back to a much more regular month update schedule. My fault for not moving to that sooner.

As a indication of my long term commitment to the project, we brought on a new astrophysicist and she's been getting up to speed.

Once Alpha 15 is out, I hope you'll think it was worth the wait.

Prometech

• Official Photographer of the Universe at large
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 11:14:23 PM »
I for one will not give up on this project / game. I have been following it for too long to lose interest or move on, considering that there are literally no contenders in this kind of sandbox, and no others are nearly as comprehensive as this one.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 01:26:25 AM »
We're in the middle of a physics rewrite that's taken longer that we had hoped ...
Once Alpha 15 is out, I hope you'll think it was worth the wait.

To elaborate; the physics library have been growing organically for a long time. This and that was being added on top, and it worked ok. While collisions were rewritten, to deal with large issues, physics just grew layer by layer, with only little design changes now and then.
In the end, it had grown to a point where its core design and the current use didn't match very well, and something had to be done.... or rather... something didn't _have_ to be done, but it would make the most sense in the long run.

Some in here have argued that we should more or less lock down features and any larger refactoring, and only focus on fixing bugs. It would seem that "alpha version" is a confusing term then, since the alpha development phase is really for doing what we are doing. Trying out things, discovering issues with that and trying to do it differently and better _and_ fixing bugs, naturally.

Alpha versions have historically been for in-house use only, but lately there is a trend towards involving the community more, and letting it have a voice in deciding what works and what doesn't, and this is what we have been doing. That doesn't mean that an alpha version should then be considered a beta version with a different name.

To those who get bored and irritated from waiting, because there is not always a new version every 1st of the month, even though we will try hard to make that happen, please consider that the alternative would really be that there was no new versions at all before a beta is ready.

As Dan has pointed out, a faster release cycle is a priority, but right here and now, it is prevented because I essentially pulled the engine out and have it lying on the floor in parts. New gears have been manufactured, oil has been refilled and the parts are going in again as quickly as my little fingers can manage.... soon...

anyway. its all my fault, so feel free to blame me. I hope you will later see that it was worth it.... to rewrite.. not to blame ;-)

Plutonium

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 04:52:14 AM »
Space Engineers has a weekly updates schedule but most of the updates are minor "keep the community busy" updates, the real big features are released once a few months. These small updates maintain the interest, keep the community agitated and give the devs plenty of time for major things, every week there is a spec. thread about the upcoming update))

Maybe you could do something similar??

im4space

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 07:21:06 AM »
Quote from: Dan Dixon
"We've also moved from SVN to GIT for our source control (the software that helps us manage the source code and work together). This will allow us to keep breaking changes out of the main branch and move back to a much more regular month update schedule. My fault for not moving to that sooner."

Quote from: Greenleaf
"anyway. its all my fault, so feel free to blame me."

I don't think that anyone is at fault. They found ways to make things better and faster and are in the process of making that happen. I would find fault at not making this happen.

I am looking forward to the updates and speed increases to come.

Retsof

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »
I don't mind the wait so much.  It's a wait with little word from you folks on progress that gets me antsy (which you have now relieved).  And yes, it does seem that some people don't get that this project is still very much WIP.  (well, and some are just plain rude, no excuse for that).

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 08:16:59 AM »
I'd like if the dev team could also focus on playability, seeing as I can't do much without crashing the game.

Stars also look a bit unrealistic, with their surface "bubbles" being too small and too many.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:27:18 AM by Gordon Freeman »

Cryo

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »
I'd like if the dev team could also focus on playability, seeing as I can't do much without crashing the game.

Stars also look a bit unrealistic, with their surface "bubbles" being too small and too many.
Wha'do'ya mean? this is an alpha after all the going to crash when you play with it

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »

Playability will probably be focused near the end of the development stage, so whenever most, if not all, of the features have been put in.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 10:17:06 PM »

In that case, you'll be pleased to know that's exactly what we're focusing on with this update. The new physics changes are making the engine easier to upgrade, maintain, and improving performance. As well, we're removing the OpenCL dependencies, that have caused instability for some users.  We should be able to just drop in different solutions going forward, like native code, c++ amp, and OpenCL. To improve things even more.

Another important aspect of usability is the UI. Which has been focused on quite a bit during this update.

We could be working on the latest exciting feature, but we're trying to do things right here, and build a stable foundation for the game.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 04:08:50 AM »
Wha'do'ya mean? this is an alpha after all the going to crash when you play with it

Not necessarily?

Playability will probably be focused near the end of the development stage, so whenever most, if not all, of the features have been put in.

Maybe "Usability" is a better word to use?

@C7
Yes!

Cryo

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »
ah i see now

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2015, 08:30:38 AM »
C7, will these improvements include anti-crash stability as well?