Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Surface Temperature and Effective Temperature  (Read 8563 times)

Envite

[SOLVED] Surface Temperature and Effective Temperature
« on: March 28, 2015, 06:40:40 PM »
Please, explain the differences between these two values.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:30:50 AM by Envite »

C7

• Development Team
Re: Surface Temperature and Effective Temperature
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »
The Effective Temperature of a body is the temperature of an object calculated from the radiation it emits, assuming black-body behavior.

In our context this is the stable temperature of the body, based on incoming energy from nearby stars.

The Surface temperature is the current temperature of the body, and will reflect things like impact events or heating from other sources.

Envite

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »
I'm interested in creating habitable planets, so I should try to have Surface Temperature around 25C. But even when Surface Temperature stabilizes when I move the planet, Effective Temperature is different to that. Is that caused by Greenhouse, Albedo, Infrarred emission, or something like that?

thanks

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:41:51 AM »
The effective temperature takes into account the energy from a star's luminosity, tidal forces, radiogenic, and drag forces.

After that, the surface temperature is controlled by the climate, greenhouse heating, and any current heat that's left over.

So as you change the position, you'll be modifying the effective temperature. But the temperature you're concerned with is the surface temperature. It's possible for two planets to have the same surface temperature, but different effective temperatures. I hope that answers your question.

Envite

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 05:30:33 AM »
It does, thanks.