Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HELP! Trying to get NEAR constant daylight  (Read 8113 times)

Stach

HELP! Trying to get NEAR constant daylight
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
Hey everyone, new to the sandbox and new to the forums.

I;m trying to right a story and I would like it to be as politically and scientifically correct as I can get it. My world doesn't really workafter reading online about how actual planets and suns work. But found this forum in the midst of my searches and found out their was a simulator! So i bought the simulator hoping I could create my fake world scientifically.... problem is, I'm not very good at the sandbox, I keep losing my planets out into space or can't get close enough to what I want

Soooooooo I figure, instead of wasting probably a month on the sandbox trying to figure it out and get my world right.... what would be better then asking a true bunch of experts and geniuses in the community to maybe give me a hand... I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it and will even give credit to the person who helps me in my story (The story is just for a fanbase and ill not make any money... lets just get that out of the way lmao, but if it ever does, I will ALWAYS remember who helped me build my perfect world!)

Ok, so I need a planet that is habitable. it can be slightly off because its science fiction, so if its 30 degrees off the threshold, I'm ok with that. here's the world I want to create

2 suns, 1 planet that's habitated and one planet that's mostly dark, cold, (not too cold, we need to visit it later) and can be barren.

For the habitable planet, my idea is to basically have 2 sunrises a day with two sunsets a day. I would like to get as near to constant daylight as possible. I know its almost impossible after all my research, but I'm ok with near constant. for example a 24 hour day with darkness only 1 hour each 12 hours kind of deal.

basically i want to know if the sun can set on one side of the planet, darkness ensues, but is trailed by the other suns sunrise on the other side of the planet. I need the daylight because in the story, the people thrive with the sunlight and hold the enemy back because the enemy in my story thrives on darkness.

If you need any more answers or have any questions, please feel free to ask away. I don't care how much light comes from the suns, as long as at least one of them gives alot (close to our own suns) the other can be halved, that would be perfect. ideally the solar system would look like a sun on either side with the planet in the middle with a darkness "Ring" around it and then the 1 continent we have will pass throughthat band of darkness for an hour twice a day (or close to that) the continent can reside anywhere on the planet as we only have one, surrounded by the oceans.....

Thank you SOOOO much for anyone who even ATTEMPTS this challenge for me!

Like I said, I will give credit to the creator in my story!

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: HELP! Trying to get NEAR constant daylight
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I can't think of any solutions to your problem with trying to get near constant daylight other than giving them a lot of technology and have a small artificial moon that they've built in geosynchronous orbit which provides light to the backside of the planet and could appear like a star in the sky, except much closer of course.

UniverseXploder

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 08:11:17 AM »
quad-star system makes day light except the poles

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:55:29 PM »
like the desert planet in Star Wars?

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
I know this is old, but you could try having the planet orbit one star close in and have the stars far enough apart that the planet will stay in orbit...

Krypton

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:45:22 PM »
Or, instead of two suns providing the constant light, you could have one sun and have the planetary system well outside the galactic plane so that when the sun sets the galaxy or nebula rises on the opposite horizon.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
Or, instead of two suns providing the constant light, you could have one sun and have the planetary system well outside the galactic plane so that when the sun sets the galaxy or nebula rises on the opposite horizon.

...But a nebula or galaxy isn't going to give off nearly as much light as a star...

Krypton

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 01:21:28 AM »
No, but  there could be a beautiful twilight if you had a nebula, galaxy, or globular cluster in the sky.
The only way I could think to make a planet with no night is to have it in the barycenter of a binary star system.  the orbits of the stars would have to be nearly circular.  In essence, the planet would be caught in a kind of lagrange point with the two stars apparently circling it.  Keep in mind though that this means twice the radiation, constant heat, different weather, and different biology.  I mean, none of the animals would need night vision would they?  There would be no such thing as a nocturnal animal.  People would have no circadian rhythms as we know them.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »
There's a simulation in the new universe sandbox that shows that exact scenario, which also shows that that isn't stable, even if it could even form there...

destroyer83

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
Actually, I'm thinking, if both the suns are binary and you put the proposed planet right in the middle (just like the simulation) but what if you put the earth on the cold side of both stars? If in the habitable zone means frying, then what about in the cold zone, and the stars slightly further away from each other? The combined heat from both stars means it gets heated up, but they're not close enough that they fry it. It all depends how far these stars can be from each other and still hold each other in a binary orbit.

Physics_Hacker

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 09:36:16 PM »
Actually, I'm thinking, if both the suns are binary and you put the proposed planet right in the middle (just like the simulation) but what if you put the earth on the cold side of both stars? If in the habitable zone means frying, then what about in the cold zone, and the stars slightly further away from each other? The combined heat from both stars means it gets heated up, but they're not close enough that they fry it. It all depends how far these stars can be from each other and still hold each other in a binary orbit.

Are you talking about the "exactly between suns" scenario? If so, as I explained, that isn't possible. ..

destroyer83

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »
I can't believe it...I did it. although it did take some modifications. (and some might say cheating) but I did it. First thing, load the sim, and pause it as fast as you can, the modifications are: 1) Position lock the earth
2) increase the speed of the suns to about 16.5-17.0 km/s. That will modify their orbit enough that they will move away from each other, now, note that they will return to be closer in perihelion. now, I found that if you increase it to 17 km/s that it will approach freezing, but a little trick I found is that when you hit the desired temp, if you max the albedo, it holds the temp there for some reason. I don't know how, but through some glitch, some cheat, or some miracle of science...it works.

EDIT: And when I fiddled around a bit with the speeds to make it more consistant, the suns just said "Screw this!" and just walked away.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:46:31 PM by destroyer83 »