Welcome, Guest

Poll

What tech equivalent is Universalis (984) to Earth?

similar to current tech
1 (14.3%)
2020s
4 (57.1%)
2030s
0 (0%)
in the past
0 (0%)
further in the future
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Universalis Development  (Read 2154 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Universalis Development
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:04:13 AM »
Discuss all aspects regarding the technilogical progression of Universalis, the current state of technology. You can write out your ideas, your intentions for your nation(s)/region and what you have so far. Everyone seems to have a different idea of how the world should be and technology and development should be pretty consistent throughout the world. In this topic, we can get an idea of what everyone wants and hopefully come to a consensus. The poll is just for guaging general opinion.

I personally think if we try to build a world in the future we have no idea what types of technology we'll see develop, but with current tech we will always have a good idea what level of technology is possible or in development, even with a different "tech tree" so to speak.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: Universalis Development
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »
I think 2020s is a good choice, gives some more freedom for stuff like fusion and other interesting future tech plus slightly more extensive space programs and such. Can also balance out some stats maybe, many irl countries aren't very well off but most of us aren't very interested in making that so being further in the future could explain our nations probably ending up with better stats. 2030s works too but I don't think we should further because the tech becomes too speculative imo.

As for year, wasn't that already defined with 0 being 1399 or something? So I assume 2020s would just mean the Universalis years we can use are pushed further and when writing text it's by default assumed to be the latest year.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »
yeah 2020s because we are going to wind up with like 9 billion people (although saguans fill a different niche than humans and universalis has more land area, then again not all of it is quite habitable (cough cough kolokia))

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
well bla, the year on the calendar (984 = 2015) doesn't have to match tech levels we could have Earth 1000s tech in -300 or year 300 depending on how quickly it developed

changing it would be kind of annoying for calculation, but not too much of a problem (such that assuming now is 995 or sth)

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »
well bla, the year on the calendar (984 = 2015) doesn't have to match tech levels we could have Earth 1000s tech in -300 or year 300 depending on how quickly it developed
That's what I meant but I wasn't sure what the poll meant because it said year
What year/tech equivalent is Universalis (984) to Earth?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 01:35:44 PM »
hey people who voted on 'further in the future' pls explain?

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 01:48:13 PM »
you're basically mapping time to technological development. you can't really do better than arbitrarily picking an answer, so i picked future, because it maximizes the possibilities.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »
gdi skirt you know what we mean stop being a pedant

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 05:10:47 PM »
but i don't

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:11 PM »
it maximizes the possibilites, yes, but it doesn't actually help with specifics nor does it provide a reliable base on which to start

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 07:46:26 PM »
i guess instead of "further in the future", a number like 2070 would be more specific then

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 03:08:46 AM »
I don't think just 'maximizing the possibilities' is a good idea. Allowing magic and ignoring the laws of physics or anything governing the real world also gives us more possibilities but I don't think that makes for a very interesting story. I prefer it to be somewhat realistic and at least give a feeling that "this could actually have been true in our universe" when reading it. Opening up for tech from the far future makes that much harder.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »
2020's is a very suitable year imo, even though I can't predict what will be here in 2020, but I guess I can make some predictions.