Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [FIXED] Startup problems still occur  (Read 8058 times)

Kugelblitz42

[FIXED] Startup problems still occur
« on: February 27, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
Hello,

I had bought this game a couple of days ago with very high expectations. They now seem to have come down, especially since this wasn't a very cheap game. I have already read and tried everything that had been posted in previous 'fix' threads but to no avail.
When I load the game (which I do via Steam by the way) it shows the loading screen and loads through everything to stop loading and crash when it gets to 'finding OpenCl devices'.
I don't know what to do anymore. I have even considered to completely re-install my version of windows to exclude those errors. That's how bad I want to fix this.
Can someone help me out? Thanks a lot in advance!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:51:27 PM by Dan Dixon »

C7

• Development Team
Re: Startup problems still occur
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 05:37:34 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'll do my best to help you out. I'm looking into your logs now, and I'll update when I have more information for you.

- Update -

This is definitely a problem with the drivers for your graphics card, or the configuration of your operating system.

The driver version date for your graphics card is 6/5/2012. The drivers are failing to load DirectX 9 hardware acceleration and are falling back to OpenGL, however the OpenGL version is too old, and doesn't meet the minimum requirements of the Unity engine (absolute minimum is GL 1.4)

Relevant Log information is below :

d3d11: failed to create D3D11 device (0x887a0004)
D3D11 initialization failed
D3D9/D3D11 initialization failed, trying OpenGL
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
OpenGL:
    Version:  OpenGL 1.1 [1.1.0]
Crash!!!

Hopefully there are newer drivers available, as the manufacturer specs for your card show it's specified to be able to run DirectX 11 and OpenGl 4.1.

You can get updated drivers from the manufacturer's website in the link provided below. Since it's an hp laptop, they may have modified the design spec of the gpu. If they did that, you may need to use drivers from HP itself.

(Try these first, they're likely to be much more up to date)
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

(HP - Try these drivers if you can't use the AMD ones)
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

If you have any issues with the drivers, just let me know.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:01:47 PM by C7 »

Kugelblitz42

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:46:27 AM »
Thank you very much for providing such a helpful reply!
I will try -I say try since I have been having a lot of issues with updating my driver- to update my driver, trying the hp versions as well.
I will report back to you.

Update

I have been trying to update my driver with the amd drivers. This doesn't work. The computer just switches to integrated graphics as if there is no graphics card. The newest updates from hp are 3 years old and don't work either. I have disabled the integrated graphics card in the bios so that the computer is forced to use the gpu but this didn't solve the problem either. Also, the game still crashes but doesn't provide me with a crash report. I'm pretty sure it's entirely to blame to my computer instead of the game so excuse me for bothering you with this.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:04:55 AM by Kugelblitz42 »

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
I've seen a rare issue where the power settings are to blame. If the laptop is unplugged from the wall outlet, or it thinks that it's running on battery, it will force the usage of the basic cpu based graphics, instead of using the dedicated graphics card. (The dedicated GPUs can use a lot of power)

Some laptops will have custom power controls, you have to make sure it's running in "high performance" mode, or whatever the equivalent is. You can also check the default windows power options to see if it's set to power down the GPU.

Not sure what else I can do without access to the PC to troubleshoot it.

Are you able to run any other games? Or games that use the Unity engine?

Kugelblitz42

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »
As you said, the drivers were to blame. I completely uninstalled everything from AMD and uninstalled all the drivers on my card as well, making it useless. then I just re-installed the hp drivers via device manager and it works! So if there is anyone out there who has a switchable graphics card and is experiencing the same problems, just clean your card entirely in device manager, let it re-install the original drivers and make sure you have uninstalled all the possible other drivers so that those don't intervene and you should be good.

C7, thank you very much for helping me! Without you I probably would have bought a new pc. ;)
Great community, keep up the good work

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 01:26:17 PM »
Awesome, glad to hear it's finally working. I hope you enjoy the game.