Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Magnetic Fields, and the dreaded Roche Limit  (Read 5326 times)

Carolus_Rex

Magnetic Fields, and the dreaded Roche Limit
« on: February 11, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »
Any thoughts if this were to be implemented in US2? Would be fun with highly magnetic bodies (also seeing dust collect on the dipoles would be a nice touch), and as far as the Roche Limit; I'd really enjoy seeing this again, although it didn't work in US1 :P any ideas?

shadyJ

Re: Magnetic Fields, and the dreaded Roche Limit
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
These are very cool ideas, although I am sure they would not be easy to implement in US2. A Roche Limit would be sweet! As would Magnetic fields, so we could simulate things like Magnatars!

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:54:05 PM »
Wasn't quite done in time for Alpha 13, but you can see Thomas working on Roche limit fragmentation in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qr6c_0ngTQ#t=133

dylan

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
When do you think it will be done C7

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 03:31:08 AM »
The tech is essentially there. Currently I am focusing on some bug issues as well as performance, so it might get pushed once again. It will be there soon, though.

As to magnetic fields, that is currently not being worked on, so we first need to define an efficient steam of charged particles from the stars, which move towards interesting fields (have some ideas about that) and then simulate the motion, which should not be too complicated and finally it has to visualized in a nice manner. This all means that it is not around the corner just yet.

BlackMane

• this account has seen all of my cringe phases oof
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 05:51:48 PM »
And SPH?

Retsof

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »
I know, I keep looking for a program that will let me collapse a dust cloud into a solar system, even if just in 2d, but all the astronomy professionals are keeping them to themselves  >:(

EDIT:  Actually, Greenleaf, I noticed something that maybe could be added with the roche limits?  Sometimes after collisions bodies are spinning extremely fast.  Shouldn't they break up in a spray of bits instead?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:32:46 PM by Retsof »

Retsof

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
*batsignal*
Sorry for double post.

I'm curious now.  What actually happens if a planet ends up spinning too fast to hold together?

nosirrbro

• UUNNIIVVEERRSSEE SSAANNDDBBOOXX
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 06:50:18 PM »
It would elongate more and more to the point where it is pretty much a disk and then break apart, although the details of it really depend on the speed. At some speeds it just stays as a disk like object, but at others it almost instantly breaks apart.

smjjames

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »
It would elongate more and more to the point where it is pretty much a disk and then break apart, although the details of it really depend on the speed. At some speeds it just stays as a disk like object, but at others it almost instantly breaks apart.

How about a rotation speed of 8-15 seconds? We're talking about asteroid sized objects that are so hot, they're still liquid.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 11:25:39 PM »
Actually, Greenleaf, I noticed something that maybe could be added with the roche limits?  Sometimes after collisions bodies are spinning extremely fast.  Shouldn't they break up in a spray of bits instead?

It has actually been experimented with already. Simple form is just to make a volume conserving scaling where the object shrinks along the axis of rotation and grows in the orthogonal axis, while fragments are being ejected. Apart from the scaling, it is essentially just like the roche limit, and will likely be added in alongside it.

undormant

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 06:49:20 AM »
Ok so I think this comes under Roche limit so I'll post here.

I tried creating a mega earth with 8 earth masses and 12000km radius.

It didn't hold the moons very well. I wanted 3 Earth sized moons but it couldn't hold it.

I tried with Jupiter and it could only hold 2.

I'm not sure the game mechanics for this are right yet?

R :)

Prometech

• Official Photographer of the Universe at large
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
So if the Roche Limit behavior isnt implemented, then what the heck do we have instead?

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 06:20:51 PM »
Regular ol' collisions at the moment. Still pretty good though.

Cryo

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »
how long would it take (simulation time sped up) for the asteroid field to stabilize and form a near circular ring?