Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cannot create massiv stars  (Read 3117 times)

maxrz

cannot create massiv stars
« on: February 08, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
I searched on the internet for massive stars to find the details I need to create them in us2 but I wasn't able to create stars with more mass than 20 suns because with more mass they collapsed immediately. Even with the details of a massive star I couldn't create it and the calculation of the radius or the other details can't be right because when I increase the mass the radius decrease while the density is fixed. How can that be?

C7

• Development Team
Re: cannot create massiv stars
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
Stars are really complicated, it's not just about the mass, the age of the star is really important as well. A star with the same mass and a different age, will be vastly different in radius, luminosity, and may have even of collapsed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution

Ideally we'll simulate the metallicity and other factors at some point, but as it stands this is largely a function of the age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallicity

They don't really respond in a way that is readily apparent. If you like, you can uncheck the "realistic" option and have more control over a star.

You may also want to pause the game while editing, otherwise it will update the star while you're in the middle of editing, which may cause it to destabilize, collapse, or super nova.

Also, we have most stars in our database, so if there's a particular one you're looking for, chances are, we already have it.

When you search for a star, make sure you press enter in the search window, so it will perform a full search of the catalog.

Also, stars will often be listed by ID instead of the common name. For instance searching for the star pollux, will be listed as HD 62509.

Wikipedia or astronomy databases will give you the designations for the stars. In the case of the star listed below, it's under "Other Designations"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollux_%28star%29

Hopefully this answers your questions, if there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know.

maxrz

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »
Thanks for the answer. I now just turnt the realistic mode off but if I save the object it will become a black hole if I add it

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »
Saves are currently broken, we're looking into the cause now.

Can you try to load your save and then send us your logs?

To do this, start Universe Sandbox up, try to load your simulation, after it fails. Click on the feedback icon (little star on the right). You can put in your email if you'd like us to use that to contact you. Put Atten: C7 load bug in the comments section, and make sure the send log option is checked.

Thanks!