Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG, Alpha 13.1] Odd Jupiter and Sun Collisions  (Read 2460 times)

The_Fool

[BUG, Alpha 13.1] Odd Jupiter and Sun Collisions
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:13:53 AM »
Sometimes a collision between Jupiter and Sun will result in a supernova, which should be impossible given their masses.  Usually the collision works fine.  However, when I run (Sun & (Jupiter x 30)) x 3, the behavior is almost chaotic.  Sometimes there is a supernova and the frame-rate goes to near zero.  Often the collisions cause one of the Suns to become a gas giant.  Sometimes objects are flung out at absurd velocities.  The application also crashes occasionally during this simulation.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:19:40 AM by The_Fool »

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: [BUG, Alpha 13.1] Odd Jupiter and Sun Collisions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
Thanks for reporting. We've written up a task for dealing with the Jupiter and Sun collisions in that simulation... it's definitely not behaving like it should be.

That sim, however, is going to be a stress test for your system, as there's a lot going on with the dust trails, collisions, supernova, etc. It's not too surprising that it would reduce your frame rate, though we still don't want it to crash! That happens to me too when I have graphics set to High, though the simulation keeps chugging when on Low. We'll look into that as well, thanks.