Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: linguist sticks  (Read 3357 times)

Darvince

• 差不多
linguist sticks
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:14:08 AM »
a collection of things i've found very useful for learning linguistics outside of wikipedia

http://cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba/syn/syntax_clauses.htm

Glossary of Terms Used in this Thread and Explanations for Each
Debuccalization: when the position of a stop or fricative shifts to glottal. this is a type of lenition, as glottal consonants are generally more sonorous than other types of consonants.
Lenition: lenition is the process of 'weakening' a sound, that is, making it more sonorous
Morphonological processes:
Sonority: sonorous, a good estimate for sonority is how loud the sound is when pronounced, combined with how open the airflow is when pronouncing the consonant
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:22:08 AM by Darvince »

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: linguist sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »
"I think what he meant was that English has an unusually high number of adpositions in general: Aside from maybe Dutch, it probably has the largest inventory in the world."

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
dar i think i figured out prospective aspect

it's like "He will be eat" although to grammar better (and because in soleani there is no distinction from prospective progressive) eating would work

"He has will be eat" past prospective
"He will will be eat" future prospective

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:05 AM »
what is voice assimilation formally called? like an initial cluster of /gf/ assimilating in voice to /gv/ or /kf/

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »
«"Fluently" doesn't appear in the original text, because by default if you can speak a language, you speak it fluently; you don't add this word.
I don't really know what, gramatically, is that morphere I marked as AC (I call it 'the activator'). It obligatory joins the subject with the verb in the present tense or sometimes serves as an intensifier of the sentence (among other sentences in a text) in other tenses and aspects.»

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:57:53 AM »
<Kalassak> soleani should have a word for diminishing marginal utility
<Kalassak> basically how you get used to things and you don't like them as much anymore
<Kalassak> dar i am frustrated
<Kalassak> how do you make words
<Kalassak> like
<Kalassak> should this word be musiccover
<Kalassak> does that make any sense
<Kalassak> and how should i meld ponani + kujuk properly
<Kalassak> ponjuk? ponkujuk? ponakuj? change some vowels? punakwj?
<Kalassak> should it be a new word?
<Kalassak> vektaqúnéza

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:55:53 AM »
you need morphophonological rules for merging so like if there's a rule that an initial V or VC syllable is eliminated from the first word of a compound and a rule that in a compound the stress comes from the longer word, then say you have ahi + kutekaŋí, it would become hikųtekaŋí

or in the case of ponani and kujuk, it would become ponanikųjuk with the rules i've established here, you could also have lenition or debuccalization of /k/ at the morpheme boundaries so that the final result of ahi + kųtekaŋí is hithųtekaŋí. with all those rules, ponani + kujuk would become ponanithųjuk

btw himalian has no morphophonologicL processes except for inserting a glottal stop to separate illegal vowel diphthongs or triphthongs and inserting a schwa to separate illegal consonant clusters
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:04:45 AM by Darvince »

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:42:23 PM »
i need to make a post on cbb about himalian's "prepositions" which are affixes in verbs (things that aren't really true positions like with, to, for, in in some circumstances (like that one))

Darvince

• 差不多

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:27 AM »
guys I FIGURED OUT THE TITLE

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
key to don

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '152347'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:25:40 AM by FiahOwl »